Dumb question

shogs

I'm not sure if what I'm thinking is what you're talking about but there should be a nut on there that keeps it from moving...

nuttierodou9.png

thanks for the picture but thats not what im talking about. Im talking about after you pass that step and go to tighten the bolt where that rubber piece is. When I took one off it kept spinning and wouldn't tighten. Maybe mine was broken?

Oh ok I know what your talkin about now. I never really thought about that...to be honest I'm not really sure. I know I've put them on before but I don't remember what I did.... I know someone on here will know though. Sorry I couldn't help.

Dont you just have to tighten it enough to get the cotter pin in?

That's what I thought. I know I put them on before but couldn't think of ever having to hold them with something to tighten the lock nut.

Could they be dirty that it's jamming up the nut? Maybe a little WD-40 then slam the cotter in there.

usually bad ones will spin and the good ones wont. in any case. i have always used an impact on them. if you just burp it up into place, teh sudden start and stops will make the nut go on without the balljoint itself spinning. otherwise if you dont have a impact, try to pry down on the joint some how from the top side. if you can force the balljoint into the knuckle with force, the force will keep it from spinning while u tghten the nut. i hope that makes sense.

to take them off if they ever spin, just use vise grips right on teh rubber part. under the rubber is the acutal joint, and if you clamp there, you can usually break them loose pretty easy. however.......you will ususlaly ruin the boot. hence why i only do this if im replaceing the ball joint. or at least gunna install a new boot.

best of luck, hope that helps

That's what I thought. I know I put them on before but couldn't think of ever having to hold them with something to tighten the lock nut.

Could they be dirty that it's jamming up the nut? Maybe a little WD-40 then slam the cotter in there.

I think its tapered so it needs to be a little tighter than just to get the cotter pin in. I have seen where people have had problems on here before with that same thing, try using the search. And btw its not a dumb question.