Harness Help Please

BIGONTS

I've been running this short harness for years now.  Last weekend, the bike died all of a sudden on the dunes.  Ran a couple of checks and the stator and coil are good, there’re about 2 years old btw.  I have an extra complete harness and ECU and bike fired up when I plugged it in thinking it was the ECU.  Now, with this harness, the bike started only when I disconnected the black ground wire.  I also jumped the kill switch/tether to eliminate the possibility of those being bad. Any ideas what could be wrong?  What could happen if I leave that ground off?  The plug with red tape on it goes to kill swith/tether and shares the ground coming off black coil plug.  I checked the Clymer’s schematics and that a ground should be there, even though the stock harness is not grounded by a separate wire anywhere.   Thanks 

post-21717-0-91770800-1477339911.jpg

Edited by BIGONTS

Be sure the black/red wire is connected to the solid black wire when you are trying to start it. You can hook up a tether a variety of ways to that harness once you rule out the issue.

Edited to reflect hoppedups corrected info. I originally said to ground the white/black wire, which is not correct.

Just took another look at the wiring diagram and the only thing that is grounded is the voltage regulator. Since I'm not running one as I don't have any lights, is that OK?

Yes. People may disagree, and there is a argument that the ground is needed, but I don't ever run one on the 7 or so motors I have.

If you tried everything else then by all means go ahead and ground all black wires back to the frame and back to the motor.

grounding the white/black kills it

Shit yes. The black, wire is grounded when the run switch is OFF.

So just the red/black and all black tied together.

Sorry for the bad info!

Was trying to picture my harnesses. I have my black/white isolated and not used.

Ok. Still trying to figure it out. Used a test light on both switches and light goes on when pushing in the button or unhooking the teather. So I assume that's normally closed? How's the oem key set up? How would that ground off the coil impact that?? Thanks