bog low to mid

Paddleboy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i finally got my fmf fattys on this week and went for a ride on some local trails. my jetting is close but my low to mid range has a bad bog which sucked in the trails. i had to ride mid 2nd the whole time. wot is spot on untill sometimes when i shift in 6th. i have fmf fattys and k&n pod filters. elevation is around 600 and i'm running 330 mains 25 pilots and 1.5 turns out on the air screw. the needle is on the fourth clip down. i did a plug chop and it looked good but was light. what do you guys think?

I would go up on your main jet 2 sizes and lean your needle by one clip position and try it, see if it gets better. From the sounds of your plug check, your main is slightly lean and the transition from part throttle to mid/full throttle is lacking fuel causing your bog. Just my thoughts....

I wouldn't change the pilot jet unless you're having problems with starting and idling.

i put some 27.5 pilots in today and at first when i started it, it seemed too rich like it wouldnt want to rev up but when it was running for like 3 mins and warmed up it runs good. took care of most the bog and i have the air screws set and 1 out. my cousin and i are going to hit silver tomarrow before the crowd and i'll see how the shee is really gonna run.

i put some 27.5 pilots in today and at first when i started it, it seemed too rich like it wouldnt want to rev up but when it was running for like 3 mins and warmed up it runs good. took care of most the bog and i have the air screws set and 1 out. my cousin and i are going to hit silver tomarrow before the crowd and i'll see how the shee is really gonna run.

you said the 27.5 pilots took care of most of the bog? i would try 30 pilots now, or richen the needle clip 1 postition and see if the bog is totally gone. what mains are you running again?

you said the 27.5 pilots took care of most of the bog? i would try 30 pilots now, or richen the needle clip 1 postition and see if the bog is totally gone. what mains are you running again?

Pilot jetting is for idling and part throttle. If you mash the gas and you have a bog, your problem lies in the main jet/needle postion. Upping the pilot jet is just going to flood out your cylinders when idling, and you'll have to wait for it to clean out before it'll start running right.

after reading the topics 1st post over, i think that he should up his mains as well. i see he said that he's at like 330 and i would suggest going to like 340 or 350. i wouldn't go any leaner than the middle clip position on the needle for sure. if i was you, i would richen the needles 1 clip position (like i stated a few posts ago) and jump the mains to 350. also, you can try the 30 pilots, or leave the 27.5's in for now and then run w/the air screws at like 1 turn out.

after reading the topics 1st post over, i think that he should up his mains as well. i see he said that he's at like 330 and i would suggest going to like 340 or 350. i wouldn't go any leaner than the middle clip position on the needle for sure. if i was you, i would richen the needles 1 clip position (like i stated a few posts ago) and jump the mains to 350. also, you can try the 30 pilots, or leave the 27.5's in for now and then run w/the air screws at like 1 turn out.

That sounds familiar

I would go up on your main jet 2 sizes and lean your needle by one clip position and try it, see if it gets better. From the sounds of your plug check, your main is slightly lean and the transition from part throttle to mid/full throttle is lacking fuel causing your bog. Just my thoughts....

I wouldn't change the pilot jet unless you're having problems with starting and idling.

Kind of a stupid newbee question, but is a 25 pilot leaner than a 27.5? I kinda have the same little bog with 27.5 pilots, but it gets better when I backed the air screws out 3 turns. Wouldn't that mean I should put my 25 pilots back in? I am running T-5s K&N pods on stock motor at sea level on the dunes in Coos Bay. Thanks Oh, needle in middle position.

Yes and yes.

ok so my bike deffinatly runs different in the dunes.. with my new pilots i think i was flooding out while riding in the dunes. i couldnt get into powerband unless i clutched it and i couldnt even ride through the bog. the bog got like 20 times worse in the dunes. as of now i still have 330 mains in(and for just a piped and K&N pods i think that is plenty) and 27.5 pilots with air screw 1 turn out. i have my needle on the fouth clip down and i'm wondering with such a horrible bog now if i should put my needle back in the middle clip, OR put my stock pilots back it. that was the worse bog i have ever had before. i for sure need to lean it out but i dont know which part the needle or the pilot. which do you think?

ok i see what your saying.. i guess the bog and spudder part confused me. i'll go to 340 and try that but i almost need to do it at the dunes cuz at my house it ran great after the 27.5 pilots but when i got to the dunes it was bad. must not be able to get the rpms high enough here. my bike must love the gas because my cousins bike is ported and he runs 380 main and 25 pilot and that is rich. i'll let you know how the bigger mains go this weekend

Do you know if the dunes are at a different elevation than your house? That will most definitely alter your jetting from one place to another...You should bring with you at least 2 or 3 sizes bigger on the mains, and change your needle clip setting too if need be, to help the transition from part throttle to full. Good luck :beer:

Do you know if the dunes are at a different elevation than your house? That will most definitely alter your jetting from one place to another...You should bring with you at least 2 or 3 sizes bigger on the mains, and change your needle clip setting too if need be, to help the transition from part throttle to full. Good luck :beer:

i believe they are higher elevation but i dont know if its high enough to cause me to jet for it. dont 350 mains sound fat for a stock bike that only has pipes? also my needle is on the forth clip down(which raises it) so i think that position is fine. thanks i'll let you know this weekend