Coal Region

pinned247

while in the parking lot behind the coal hills, and acorss the street "the flats" a PA state trooper pulled right up on us, he asked for permits and "registration" for our quads, we all looked at each other clueless like we had never heard of the permits before , he said since we didnt know, hed let us off with a break, but we had to pack up and leave right then, he stayed in the parking lot and watched us and made sure we packed up and left, this was like 1 1/2 hours into our day, with a 2 1/2 hour drive each way(120+miles) , it sucked, bad, he said we could contact readington anthracite coal company and buy a pass for $100, they are located in potsville i think he said, either way you dont HAVE to go to coal hill, thats where everyone goes, its usually crowded and if the cops are gona show up they either go there or "the flats" parking lot up the road. thats where everyone is always at and they know it, so avoid those 2 places and you shouldnt have a problem, or just buy the $100 pass and they cant fuck with you, theres soooo much more riding to do there, not just the damn coal hill area, do some exploring

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, Im registered and insured on both my bikes here in Jersey, so I'm ok on that, but there's no way Im buying a 100 dollar permit, maybe reatree knows some better spots.

why register a bike in new jersey? we have nowhere to ride?

but yea dude, the area is fuckin enormous, theres plenty of places to ride, most people that have never been usually wana see "coal hill" though, thats why its always so crowded and the cops like to show up there, if your into riding trails, you can spend 8 hours on the trails and never cross the same path once, its honestly endless, and alot are wide open 4th gear trails, very banshee friendly, you will love it

why register a bike in new jersey? we have nowhere to ride?

When you get caught on the street they will hit you with no registration/no insurance fines and impound the bike (big bucks in case it hasnt happened to you before).

The last time I got caught all I did was pay an unsafe vehicle fine and ride home.

You won't get caught or even have to worry about that shit at my 3 favorite places.

I heard bad rumors about Coal Hill but I was only there a select few times in the last 3 years.

My riding areas are in the video section obviously, and you don't have to worry about anything. Heck, my friends Dad owns the one. He bought it from the Coal Company.

Nice, good to know. Ill probably only bring my 02 up there, I bought another shee really cheap that I think Im going to part out, so that has been taking up all my time lately.

I still can't beleive you tore a good looking bike like that apart! :blink: If my bike looked half that good I would kept it together. Sounds like its gonna be really sick when its done though.

• 2 weeks later...
True, Id like to hear about that too. Would be a shame to take a ride all the way out to find out that you can't ride. I'm still tryin to get up there, but I just bought another bike to fuck around with, so I might be a little busy for the next few weeks.

Reading Anthracite Co. in Pottsville, owns most of the land between Pottsville and Trevorton, right around 22,000 acres. Two years ago, in order to prevent so much dumping, they began selling permits to use the land. The permit is 100.00 per year and they go on sale in Jan. of the new year. This allows you access to ride, hunt (pa game laws apply?) hike, 4x4 365 days a year. They do not want people to camp there though, although many still do and no one minds.

Also, if you turn in someone who is dumping, and reading get them, you get a free permit the following year.

That's the short of it.

Reading Anthracite Co. in Pottsville, owns most of the land between Pottsville and Trevorton, right around 22,000 acres. Two years ago, in order to prevent so much dumping, they began selling permits to use the land. The permit is 100.00 per year and they go on sale in Jan. of the new year. This allows you access to ride, hunt (pa game laws apply?) hike, 4x4 365 days a year. They do not want people to camp there though, although many still do and no one minds.

Also, if you turn in someone who is dumping, and reading get them, you get a free permit the following year.

That's the short of it.

What do the permits look like?, I mean how are the issued?

What do the permits look like?, I mean how are the issued?

Hey MD,

The past two years, when you went to RAC in Pottsville to register, you signed a waver, which they gave you a copy of to keep with you as well as a metal button. This year, for 08, they substituted the button with a numbered paper, corresponding to your permit number, along with a plastic pouch (think hunting license holder) with a pin to pin somewhere. I have mine pined to my hydro pack along with the signed waver. They also give you a map of the parcels of land they own. It's not a very detailed map, basically a guide.

As I've said, they begin issuing the permits for the new year in Jan. It's easy to find out when. You have a few options, however, you MUST pick it up in person. You can call and reserve a permit or just go in. When you get there, they ask for your reg and insurance as well as drivers license. They photocopy them for their records. You pay them sign the waver and your done. They really are nice to deal with.

The first year they issued 500 but the past two years they upped the number to 1000.

I look at it this way......with riding areas, including the pay to play areas, disappearing FAST and the pay to play areas that are open, charging upwards of 400.00 a year for membership with a limited amount of trails, 100.00 is a bargain. And, like is said, if you turn someone in you see dumping, you get a free permit the following year, which, I don't feel is a bad thing since, if we want to keep areas around, we should policing ourselves and be responsible.

Hey MD,

The past two years, when you went to RAC in Pottsville to register, you signed a waver, which they gave you a copy of to keep with you as well as a metal button. This year, for 08, they substituted the button with a numbered paper, corresponding to your permit number, along with a plastic pouch (think hunting license holder) with a pin to pin somewhere. I have mine pined to my hydro pack along with the signed waver. They also give you a map of the parcels of land they own. It's not a very detailed map, basically a guide.

As I've said, they begin issuing the permits for the new year in Jan. It's easy to find out when. You have a few options, however, you MUST pick it up in person. You can call and reserve a permit or just go in. When you get there, they ask for your reg and insurance as well as drivers license. They photocopy them for their records. You pay them sign the waver and your done. They really are nice to deal with.

The first year they issued 500 but the past two years they upped the number to 1000.

I look at it this way......with riding areas, including the pay to play areas, disappearing FAST and the pay to play areas that are open, charging upwards of 400.00 a year for membership with a limited amount of trails, 100.00 is a bargain. And, like is said, if you turn someone in you see dumping, you get a free permit the following year, which, I don't feel is a bad thing since, if we want to keep areas around, we should policing ourselves and be responsible.

How is this enforeced... There was a hundred guys at Coal Hill when we were there, and I bet not a

single on of them had a permit??? Not saying that is right, but its a fact... Plus I dont recall seeing

a single no treaspassing sign ANYWHERE?

How is this enforeced... There was a hundred guys at Coal Hill when we were there, and I bet not a

single on of them had a permit??? Not saying that is right, but its a fact... Plus I dont recall seeing

a single no treaspassing sign ANYWHERE?

MD, it's not very easily enforced. Judging by some of the posts, it seems RAC has gotten the State Police involved. In the three years, including this year, we've had permits, we have been stopped on the trails, in the woods twice. Always between Locust Gap and Shamokin. The fellas who stopped us were part of the RAC security team, for lack of a better description. They were well armed too.

I know and ride with many who do not have permits and it's not my place to judge. It's their personal choice. I just say be prepared for any potential consequences of your actions. In some of the news articles I have read coming out of the area in the past 8 months, many of those who have been caught were arrested and cited for numerous reasons.

The signage...Honestly, I'm not sure any of the RAC land has ANY posted signs...except where there is active mining going on or on the parcels that have been leased to DCNR.

It boils down to luck. I prefer the security of knowing that it's ok for me to be there. I don't want or need the potential hassle of fines, court costs, impoundment of my machine...when I was in my teens and 20's, running from the cops on our dirtbikes was fun...now that I'm 47 and still ride like I'm 20, running isn't that much fun anymore...riding thousands of miles up in that area over the last three years, much more fun. I used to ride up there a lot in the late 80's.