Very bad day

OKCterror

So yesterday i was at work doing my usual routine. Im a diesel tech at a big volvo mack dealership, anyways i was working under a truck and had to get the torch out to cut a bolt on the front leaf. Got all my gear setup and got my gloves and cutting goggle on when i decided to crawl under the truck and start the cutting. Thats when all hell breaks loose. The bolt heats up and then "I guess" the tip got clogged and decided to blow the tip off and shatter the bolt into 1000 sparks. Well about half of those sparks decided to enter my left ear canal. All i could feel is this burn and then the singing started. I turned the torck off as soon as i could then could not take the pain anymore and passed out. I woke up about 3-6mn later getting picked up by my boss and carried over to the company truck. I started to throw up everything i ate in my entire life.lol. Anyways i got to the hospital and walked myself in and checked in. I worte down my complaint on the form as "I set my ear on fire and passed out"lol. The ladies thought i was joking until blood started coming out of my ear. Then i finally got to get some help. The rushed me into a room, straped up the iv and got me a trash load or morphine. ummm the good stuff. Well i went in and out but woke up strapped to the bed. I was told i pushed the doc away from my ear and was not complying with them.lol. What a bad ass i am. Anyways they told me i singed the outter liner of my ear drum and passed out from the pain. Stayed for acouple hours and they got a piece of metal the size of an eraser head out of my left ear drum and then got to go home all high and junk. This was the worst pain ive ever felt and ive done some stupid stuff before.

Tip for the day, wear ear plugs when cutting or welding upwards. :cool:

Been there and hated every second. Mine was welding slag but it all burns the same. I never went to the hospital, just had balance/hearing issues. About a week later I had a pea sized scab come out and my inner ear burned for a few days after that. Fine now, I think the sizzling right in the ear and the smell was the worst part.

Ohh, it's a ride....trust me!! I can't think of a much more helpless and painfull feeling than hot slag in the inner ear. Happened to me twice now. I don't think either time was quite as bad as this though. I hope you get better quick, and there's not too much permanent damage. Good luck.