Banshee locked up

Well the other day i was riding my banshee, as I pulled into my friends drive way and i shifted to first. About the time i let out the clutch it skidded to a stop and the motor died. I dint know what the deal was so i started it up again and it tuck off, About ten feet later it did it again. So i started it again and went to go and it just died. I went to shift down thinking i was in 6th gear or something and it wouldn't shift down so i tried to go into N and the shifter was like frozen. well i dicked with it a little and couldn't get it to shift and also there is no slack in the sprocket like its just locked up. So now its sitting in my shop in the same condition and I'm wondering what the fuck's wrong with it, so if anyone has any idea let me know.

Thanks

Chevshee

Edited by chevrolet banshee

One common failure we have seen is I believe 3rd or 4th gear that tried to weld to the drive axle in the trans. It will cause bind and loss of power until it welds up. We have not attributed this to lack of oil but we think debris in the oil causes it. The banshee does not have a way to filter the oil so contaminates build up without regular changes.

You are best to pull the clutch cover and clutch and verify what is locked and go from there. I have also seen them break the shifter system and cause the trans to lock between gears and roast some trans parts.

Brandon

One common failure we have seen is I believe 3rd or 4th gear that tried to weld to the drive axle in the trans. It will cause bind and loss of power until it welds up. We have not attributed this to lack of oil but we think debris in the oil causes it. The banshee does not have a way to filter the oil so contaminates build up without regular changes.

You are best to pull the clutch cover and clutch and verify what is locked and go from there. I have also seen them break the shifter system and cause the trans to lock between gears and roast some trans parts.

Brandon

Ok thanks well right now Im going to pull the clutch cover off abd see what the deal is. i drained the oil and found no metal but it was abnormally bark

Chevshee

I've seen it a dozen times. Hill racing is the big thing here. Every time I've seen it we have attributed it to coasting down the hill with the clutch pulled in. The gear will weld itself to the shaft just as blowit said. Fact is that the clutch needs to be engaged anytime the bike is moving to properly lube the transmission. I would imagine that debris and shavings in the oil could be a huge contributing factor as well if not properly maintained. One other thing could be bent shift forks. They will bend if you shift without your clutch (only exception is override trannies).

I've seen it a dozen times. Hill racing is the big thing here. Every time I've seen it we have attributed it to coasting down the hill with the clutch pulled in. The gear will weld itself to the shaft just as blowit said. Fact is that the clutch needs to be engaged anytime the bike is moving to properly lube the transmission. I would imagine that debris and shavings in the oil could be a huge contributing factor as well if not properly maintained. One other thing could be bent shift forks. They will bend if you shift without your clutch (only exception is override trannies).

Ok well i sometimes coast with the clutch pulled And i shift with out the clutch some of the time and i have not changed the oil for a while so the possibility's are endless

Chevshee

UPDATE

I pulled the clutch basket off and that little plate that holds that bearing in, one of the skrus was missing and it was stuck between the crank gear and the crank bearing!!!!!!!