Polishing Side Cases

to strip the paint try tolulene i think you can buy it any porter paint stores or prob. sherwin williams i recently used it on some 250R covers worked like a champ

Toluene ain't worth a fuck with the paint on them things. I've tried it...lol I had to bring it to my local chrome shop and have them do reverse electrolisis on it for 10 bucks, got rid of everything.

i went over my cases with a wire brush lightly then tha toluene or however ya spell it and it worked great but also tried it last night on a 2000 shee brake caliper and it didnt work im stumped maybe hondas pc comes off easier but it did work great on it

i went over my cases with a wire brush lightly then tha toluene or however ya spell it and it worked great but also tried it last night on a 2000 shee brake caliper and it didnt work im stumped maybe hondas pc comes off easier but it did work great on it

You must be talking about the rear brake caliper on the banshee, there not PCed there anodized which are alot harder to strip

Next time you do it, sandblasting pits the cover, takes forever to get it shiny again. A simple aircraft stripper will keep the surface smooth. Just an idea. Like Kiel said tripoli then white rouge. I personally dont even do white rouge anymore, tripoli will make it very shiny, white rouge to be hasnt really been any help except on really soft metals.

not trying to argue, but aircraft stripper wouldnt even think about removing the coat of my cover. I spend hours trying to get the black off with the stuff, and it wouldnt come off. Then finally i sand blasted it, and went over it with a scotch bright pad and smoothed it right back out. It only took me about 4 minutes with the pad to smooth out the sand blasting. It didnt pit my cover bad at all, but removed all of the paint. Then i just hit it with a little buffing wheel and some good polish and I have had people ask me if it was chromed!!!

not trying to argue, but aircraft stripper wouldnt even think about removing the coat of my cover. I spend hours trying to get the black off with the stuff, and it wouldnt come off. Then finally i sand blasted it, and went over it with a scotch bright pad and smoothed it right back out. It only took me about 4 minutes with the pad to smooth out the sand blasting. It didnt pit my cover bad at all, but removed all of the paint. Then i just hit it with a little buffing wheel and some good polish and I have had people ask me if it was chromed!!!

Thats exactly what i did and i think its worth it to sandblast it so you don't have to mess with the paint.

• 2 weeks later...
Use a loose buff wheel, thats why you are not getting the shine you should with the white compound... If you use a regualr sewn wheel instead of a loose wheel you wont get the shine...

hey guys im trying to start on some polishing myself for my bike, what kinda buffing wheel do i need? and wat type of sandpaper or wat did you guys say , does paint remover work?

I used Aircraft paint remover. if its cold out it dont work for shit. once its about 70 deg or more you see it bubble up instantly. after that i used scotch bright first then the cheep dollar store scotch bright (its not as rough) i used them pads just to smooth it out a bit. then polished it with mothers. this was done all by hand and took no more then 2 hours with a few beer brakes. its easy to do all you need is the heat when you use aircraft paint stripper. i picked mine up at advanced auto. they also sell it at auto zone.

100_1745.jpg

Edited by xXBlessedWithDeathXx

Looks good but could be better. I usually send my stuff to Kiel but he didn't want to do my cases. Once you smooth everything out to the bare alluminum then the fun begins.

Take my cases for example it just takes time and alot of patience.

DSC01866.jpg

what tip did you use to smooth everything out??