when i split my cases i found this groove

is the locating pin on the clutch side crank bearing smaller than all the rest, b/c mine is...also it look like the bearing tryed to spin or something and made a groove under where the pin goes..heres a pic its the first 2 pics...also i have a pic on there of my pistons with about 10hours on them..should they be that clean? thanks guys http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/sandslinger17/

is the locating pin on the clutch side crank bearing smaller than all the rest, b/c mine is...also it look like the bearing tryed to spin or something and made a groove under where the pin goes..heres a pic its the first 2 pics...also i have a pic on there of my pistons with about 10hours on them..should they be that clean? thanks guys http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/sandslinger17/

looks like grooves from the factory and are for max load bearings, if im looking at he rite groove

3 guys just told you it's normal dude, not tryin to hate but don't worry so much.

And if the crank was wobbling enough to move the bearings enough to do that you've got bigger issues to worry about lol

Edited by okbeast

i totally understand it just looks odd to me thats all, its not a clean machined look its a torn rough look and i would hate to put it together and it be messed up...another question i have is...there are locating pins on every bearing on the crank...the stator side and the 2 middle bearings have a large pin and the clutch side has a tiny pin correct? thanks guys...im new to the whole splitting the case deal so try and bear with me...thanks

On the second pic you can see it better. It looks like either you put the cases together with the pin in that spot and when you tightened everything down it made that mark or the bearing tried to sping a little. Either way the grove is tiny and for the groove to get any larger that pin would seriously have to do some digging. Spin that bearing on the crank with your hand and see if it sounds clean and free of grit. If it does put it back together and run it. I have seen far worse cases than that and mine is even worse and it runs fine.

On the second pic you can see it better. It looks like either you put the cases together with the pin in that spot and when you tightened everything down it made that mark or the bearing tried to sping a little. Either way the grove is tiny and for the groove to get any larger that pin would seriously have to do some digging. Spin that bearing on the crank with your hand and see if it sounds clean and free of grit. If it does put it back together and run it. I have seen far worse cases than that and mine is even worse and it runs fine.

That could have been caused by a stiff bearing or you put it together wrong the first time. I would run it though. it might dent a little furth but as long as the outter bearing race stays put your good to go. So I agree with the guy above me. As far as the first three guys, they were looking in the wrong place and the fourth guy looked wrong and confirmed he is an asshole.

Pistons look like you do a lot of trail riding, bottom to mid. They look fine though. Why did you tear it down?

That could have been caused by a stiff bearing or you put it together wrong the first time. I would run it though. it might dent a little furth but as long as the outter bearing race stays put your good to go. So I agree with the guy above me. As far as the first three guys, they were looking in the wrong place and the fourth guy looked wrong and confirmed he is an asshole.

Pistons look like you do a lot of trail riding, bottom to mid. They look fine though. Why did you tear it down?

looking in the wrong place? who the fuck are you?

im glad you guys see what im talking about...to me it looks like the bearing did try to spin a little bit...all the bearings seem good, also as far as i know the cases have never been split but when i split them it only took one bump with a rubber mallet and they popped loose and there was hardly and sealant on them....i dont do alot of trail riding..its from riding around my yard b/c i just got the new clutch and basket in...its only been up to the dunes once so thats why it looks a little rich, it hasnt been ran hard. and okbeast, my issue with the pins are all of them except the clutch side are large pins and the clutch side is tiny...i dont know if its broke or its supposed to be that small....i tore it apart because it was leaking what looked to be like oil out of the front of the case...i have a pic on photobucket on what i am talking about....thanks guys

What kind of oil are you running also. Is the small pin small and round? I only had mine apart once and am a little foggy on what it looked like, but for a pin to do that kind of damage the bearing would have to be smacking against it continuously and the motors only spinning 1 direction, so other than the little deformations in the round "groove" it looks normal.

As for the oil, ur on ur own there. I'd recommend cleaning it, sealing it back up and checking again.

While you have it apart might as well check for flatlness across all the decks too, that's an easy thing to do.