crank install problems

well, now that my case problems have been fixed i now have a new problem (shocker!!!!) when i'm torqueing the case halves together the crank locks up. i've double checked the seals, bearing pins, and still have no idea what the hell i'm doing wrong. please help me!!!!

well, now that my case problems have been fixed i now have a new problem (shocker!!!!) when i'm torqueing the case halves together the crank locks up. i've double checked the seals, bearing pins, and still have no idea what the hell i'm doing wrong. please help me!!!!

What were your previous problems with your cases?

Are you installing an aftermarket or oem crank?

Is there any kind of debris that can bind the crank when

you squeeze the case halves together?

What were your previous problems with your cases?

Are you installing an aftermarket or oem crank?

Is there any kind of debris that can bind the crank when

you squeeze the case halves together?

my previous problem was that i couldn't get the case halves together. turns out the studs were hitting the bench under it. it's a stock crank and i cleaned out the cases to the point where you could eat off them. i was following the torque pattern in the manual. it's when you torque the nuts to 18 ft-lbs that the crank binds up. i'm starting to get so frustrated with this rebuild. i'm just about ready to pay someone to rebuild this damn thing for me to save my sanity.

Give us some close up shots of your crank seals on both sides. The only thing I can think of that would stop the crank from moving (assuming your halves are seating all the way together) is that your seals are in crooked or wrong and it's binding up...

well, i'm sure they're sitting in the lower case correctly. i made sure the ridge on the seal sat in the groove in the case. i followed the clmer manual to a tee.

when you installed the crank did you have the pins on the bearings lined up in the groove on the case before you put the top half of the case on and torque it?

even if the seals are in groove but the bearing pins arn't, the cases won't seat down properly

when you installed the crank did you have the pins on the bearings lined up in the groove on the case before you put the top half of the case on and torque it?

even if the seals are in groove but the bearing pins arn't, the cases won't seat down properly

i'm 99% sure the pins were right. i'll have to double check tommorow when i go to work. i've never had this much trouble with a motor before. i mean dammit i rebuilt my 454 and she fired right up with no issues but i can't get a damn 2-stroke together. figures

Right... All the pins on the bearings should be laying down in (touching the case bottom) pointing forward

i'm 99% sure the pins were right. i'll have to double check tommorow when i go to work. i've never had this much trouble with a motor before. i mean dammit i rebuilt my 454 and she fired right up with no issues but i can't get a damn 2-stroke together. figures

not only the pins but the little nub on the clutch side bearing

ok, new update. double checked the pins and seals.... they're in correctly. got pissed off and decided to try the old crank and it spins fine with the new seal installed and the cases torqued together. so i'm guessing there is a problem with the crank i bought from kiel? what could possibly be wrong with the new crank? putting the old one back in is a no-go as the rod bearings are junk? BTW these are both oem cranks. TIA