fluttering low to mid range

if you would open it up the hole way it flutter for about 5 sec. till it starts to pick up.on top end it runs great.but if you would let off the gas and back on to it it does the samething.the motor is completly rebuilt and has a new coil.it did it before the motor was rebuilt also.jetting seems to be really good,idles great and top end is also.i changed the clip on the needles into every position and still the same.leads me to believe its something electrical.what do you guys think it could be?what should i test?

i think i'm having the same thing as you. idles great. runs great. you can go wide open down the road and it will run great. turn around and begin to head back, and then i will get on it and it will stutter for like 3 sec, sometimes 5 sec. after it stops stuttering, it will run crisp again and pull like hell through all gears. i changed pilots and still nothing, so i'm beginning to think its something electrical too. when i go back on it, it doesn't matter wether i just pin it wide open, or give it slowly to wide open, it will do the same thing.

i forgot to mention that if i'm going wide open and let off and get back on it, its fine. doesn't stutter. it only does this when i slow down to like 1st or 2nd gear and turn around to head back down the road.

Edited by mopar1rules

Butch...

Alky or gas?

You play with the air gap at all.

Different pilots or air screw settings? Gap on the plugs?

It runs clean on top...but not elsewhere. Usually....if it's ignition, it'll run like crap on top...there's more strain at higher RPMs.

Warm it up...remove the plugs and go through the gears at 1/2 throttle...look at the plugs.

Needle may be way too rich, regardless of clip positions.

what kind of needles would you suggest for me there dajogejr? my mods are in my sig. elevation is 900-1000 feet above. 350 mains, stock needles @ stock clip postion, either 25 pilots or 27.5 (can't remember which), stock air jets, and unsure on # of turns on pilot screw (i think its around 4-5 turns out). not to much more and the screw will fall out.

what kind of needles would you suggest for me there dajogejr? my mods are in my sig. elevation is 900-1000 feet above. 350 mains, stock needles @ stock clip postion, either 25 pilots or 27.5 (can't remember which), stock air jets, and unsure on # of turns on pilot screw (i think its around 4-5 turns out). not to much more and the screw will fall out.

Your problem is easier. Past 2.5 to 3.0 turns out...you're past the adjustment range.

Put the next size smaller pilot in. Start at 1.5 turns out.

If it has 25 pilots in there, you have another problem. electrical or otherwise.

You have the carbs bowls on the right carbs, slides in the right carbs and choke tube connecting them?

You should also clean the bejesus out of your pilot circuit. I'm talking a speaker wire in there to get any dirt, etc. Carb/brake cleaner and compressed air.

Not to be a jerk, but probably a good idea to start your own thread after this.

I understand you are having similar problems. However, it will be easy for anyone trying to help either of you get confused to who is getting what advice, etc. Again, not trying to sound like a jerk...just trying to help you both out and not get anyone confused, namely....myself. LOL.

i'll probably start my own thread. i don't think you were being a jerk or anything. its totally understandable how you could be getting confused. i apologize too, to the fellow that started this thread. i didn't mean to take all the help away from you. i just thought the 2 of us would have the same problem, so when someone said do "this" and "that", that we would have killed 2 birds with 1 stone. my bad.

just one more question, which bowl to what carb? isn't there one float bowl with the long brass vent tube and one without one, or something like that? or is it for the fuel pickup for the choke? if thats the case, wouldn't it go on the left carb?

no might slip over this evening and mess with it alittle .its did it every since he has had the banshee.i am going to go over some of the electrical things.he is still running the key switch,stock on/off kill switch and a pull kill switch so not sure if it might be something there.seen the pickup looks like the flywheel might of hit it a time or two.so was leaning toward it also.was wondering if it could be checked with a meter at all?