set up questions

Guest oz2216

Guest oz2216

Hi guys. Been here before but battled with my old username, anyways, I see all the flat track riders here insist on dropping their shee's.

A lot of the riders here in SA keep them on the original height. I had mine dropped and found that I was losing traction coming out of corners, as if the power was not getting down. I have lifted it again and stiffened the rear shock, what a difference, the pull I get when putting the power down is amazing.

Could it be track conditions? Some of the tracks have berms and are not always flat and compact.

Would like to hear your suggestions as I would like to get it low again as I struggle getting off the start quick enough as I'm nervous of the front popping up on me the whole time! :confused:

Thanks.

Hi guys. Been here before but battled with my old username, anyways, I see all the flat track riders here insist on dropping their shee's.

A lot of the riders here in SA keep them on the original height. I had mine dropped and found that I was losing traction coming out of corners, as if the power was not getting down. I have lifted it again and stiffened the rear shock, what a difference, the pull I get when putting the power down is amazing.

Could it be track conditions? Some of the tracks have berms and are not always flat and compact.

Would like to hear your suggestions as I would like to get it low again as I struggle getting off the start quick enough as I'm nervous of the front popping up on me the whole time! :confused:

Thanks.

Here most riders leave the front high and the rear low.

i lowered my rear about 4 inches. With it set like that your actualy getting more weight on the rear wheels when you get on it. And your lower to help with the cornering.

Alot of people think the lower the better. For me thats not the case.

Guest oz2216

Would'nt that cause the front to lift easier? Would like some different opinions from guys that have the seriosly lowered bikes. The guys that win here are all on standard height?

Would'nt that cause the front to lift easier? Would like some different opinions from guys that have the seriosly lowered bikes. The guys that win here are all on standard height?

last year i ran my frame about 4 inches off the gound.........i think i was losing weight transfer. this year the frame is six inches high with me on the bike.... the lower the quad the better turning but, i had to sacrafice cornering to get more speed... just my .02.

Not really, with the a-arms and shocks i have i have 4 inches of up travel, So when the front does lift the tires are still on the ground so i can turn.

Look at the Edt bikes there all std hieght in the front but low in the back

So how low is your rear? Can you still ride berms?

i dont know how high it is sock but i would say about 3 or 4 inches lower than stock. I cut up a 250r strut and put it on my shee. I ride everywhere with it lowered, It dosent like big whoops and bit jumps tho. Everything elce its perfect.

Guest oz2216

I spose I can give it a bash. I'll use my drop link at the rear and leave the front up. I'm running yfz a arms with yfz fox floats. I have plates welded onto the lowers to move the shock mount to lower the front as well, but I have not tried it that way.

Thanks.

Those fox's should be adjustable enough to lowerthem perfect give yourself 2-3 inches of up travel. and set your rear about 1-2 inches lower than the front. These are just sugjestions give it a try and let us know how it is for you.

And i will make a correction, the bike lowered isnt good for trail riding. The link hits EVERYTHING!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oz2216

Sweet. I'll let you know how it turns out. I dont do much trail riding anymore but when I did I lifted and put 22's on. What sort of sprocket set up you running? And obviously what sort of length straights do you guys run there?

Sweet. I'll let you know how it turns out. I dont do much trail riding anymore but when I did I lifted and put 22's on. What sort of sprocket set up you running? And obviously what sort of length straights do you guys run there?

First thing get rid of the 22's, dam thats going to kill ya.

the 1/4 mile ovals with 61"hoosiers i run 16/41,

Everything elce, all the cussion tracks i run 18" kenda knarleys with 15/41. Thats what i run on the 1/8 and 1/10th tracsk we got here.