whats the proper "break in" technique after a top end?

I got this if trinityracing.com hope it helps.

A: Almost all problems that will occur will be from a lack of attention to jetting or the break-in. Please follow all of the following instructions carefully.

1. The break-in is very simple. All you have to do is start the engine and let it idle slowly. Do not rev the engine at this time. Do this until the cylinders get hot to the touch (about 3 minutes).

2. Turn off the engine and let it cool completely. After this, you must re-torque the base and head bolts (repeat steps 1&2 three times before moving to step 3).

NOTE: If you have a head stay on your bike, this must be loosened before you re-torque your head (a heady stay is a mount that goes from the frame to the head).

3. After the third re-torque, you can start the bike and ride it. Please avoid lugging or revving the engine. Just ride it nice and easy for about an hour.

4. After an hour of riding time, you should let it completely cool off again and then re-torque the head gasket only. Check the water level (you want to keep it about one inch over the core, do not fill it to the top). Ride the ATV again and try to keep the RPM under 9,000 and don't lug the bike. Get about 10 hours of riding like this.

5. Congratulations! You can now ride the bike as hard as you please!

6. Be sure to watch your jetting and remember that a big engine needs air to run properly. You may need to modify your airbox or filter.

Warm it up, blip the throttle here and there, let it cool down.

Do it again. Once cool, check the torque. take it for a ride, not too little RPM, not too much, try not to stay at a constant RPM. Cool...torque...got beat the shit out of it...

10 hours before hard riding...yeah, right....

If you have a nikasil based cylinder (coated) Warm it up and go beat on it. The key is proper warm up....

Wow, then tear it apart and rebuild it again! This is a cut from our site. Probably could use some refinements but gets our views across.

Q: How do I break in my new or rebuilt engine?

A: This really depends on many factors so we will go through steps for new engines from OEM and fully rebuilt engines. OEM engines are run minimally at the factory and are never fully broke in. Anytime a new or rebuilt engine is started, it is best to bring it up to operating temps (around 10min) keeping the rpms around 2k, then allowed to cool to room temp. This allows the first uniform expansion of heated parts and allows stress areas to

And I'm of the opinion if you baby it too much, the rings take longer to seat and seal...making less power...

I've broken all my motors in my way, I've blown one up due to the 5th or 6th pass and I leaned it out too much on alky...

The motor was half season by then, not a break in issue....

Just like the best pipes, the best builder, etc., everyone is going to tell you what they do and works for them....

rebuild it the night before..start it up let it run for a min...to get wramed up...turn it off...race it the next day... been doing this now for about 10 years my current motor has been rebuilt 1 time in 4 years and this is how shee got broken in......probably about due for a rebuild maybe after summer.....