1/8 mile gears

slapaho

Tires, rider weight, bike weight, engine HP, power curve, swingarm/chassis length, track surface, etc. all have a factor in what your gearing should be. I ran 14/41 on my stock cylinder 350 on 1/8 mile...it seems real short but that's what my bike liked best...each setup is different, there is not a "best gearing" to run. The best thing to do is bring your sprockets to the track and change them as needed...when you find something close, practice making the runs perfect then fine tune the gearing after that... :beer:

If you have a video camera, bring a friend and have them tape the runs. That helps out so much in seeing where you need to make changes. Sometimes the bike may seem to be running its best while you're riding it, but when you watch the videos, you can see just how your bike is reacting and when, and where you are in the powerband when you cross the finish line. :thumbsup:

Just for reference, on this run, the bike felt perfect and I "thought" I was at the top of my gear when I crossed the line, but after watching the video, I realized I crossed the line as I was still accelerating...I want to be at the top of my final gear when I cross the line, so I need to change gearing...just an example of how much videotaping the runs can help with gearing decisions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lsD2Npx9pc

Tires, rider weight, bike weight, engine HP, power curve, swingarm/chassis length, track surface, etc. all have a factor in what your gearing should be. I ran 14/41 on my stock cylinder 350 on 1/8 mile...it seems real short but that's what my bike liked best...each setup is different, there is not a "best gearing" to run. The best thing to do is bring your sprockets to the track and change them as needed...when you find something close, practice making the runs perfect then fine tune the gearing after that... :beer:

If you have a video camera, bring a friend and have them tape the runs. That helps out so much in seeing where you need to make changes. Sometimes the bike may seem to be running its best while you're riding it, but when you watch the videos, you can see just how your bike is reacting and when, and where you are in the powerband when you cross the finish line. :thumbsup:

Just for reference, on this run, the bike felt perfect and I "thought" I was at the top of my gear when I crossed the line, but after watching the video, I realized I crossed the line as I was still accelerating...I want to be at the top of my final gear when I cross the line, so I need to change gearing...just an example of how much videotaping the runs can help with gearing decisions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lsD2Npx9pc

haha travis pretty much nailed everything here!

alot more goes into like bigboy said, i know he has helped me out a ton with this. And he is right everyones setup will be different i had to run 17/41 gearing with my setup cause i only have 59" hoosiers which are 18's...and i still ran out of gear about 20 feet before the 1/8th mile line. If i was to run 14/41 like him there would be no way i would make it half way! :biggrin:

16/39 on my bike still runs out at 500 feet or so.

Wait...do you still have all 6 gears, or is this a cut override tranny?

What gears does your tranny have?

not sure who that was directed to, but anyways yeah my tranny is full 6 speed override.