Clutch/Tranny question...

mall0y

Hey guys, I need some help trying to figure out what happened here. Yesterday I took the shee out for a ride. I pulled out of the garage and went on my way. About a mile later I was cruising down an old haul road in 5th gear. I went to shift into 6th, everything felt fine, it clicked right into gear, but when I let the clutch out and gave it gas it felt like I was in neutral. The quad revved up, but I didn't go anywhere. So, I down shifted through all of the gears and I got the same exact thing. It's like I'm hitting neutral in every gear. At first I thougth I popped my chain but I didn't. The clutch feels fine when I pull the cable, but the quad acts as if the clutch is pulled 100% of the time. The quad starts and runs fine. I can shift through the gears fine (even when it's running) but It just doesn't go. Theres no griding, crunching, or resistance.

I'm assuming its something clutch related. I can't tear it apart right now to see because It's filty dirty and I want to wash it before hand (too cold out to wash it right now). So, can anybody give me a clue as to what it may be? I just want to get an idea of where to look and what I could be dealing with here. Thanks!

Definately sounds like a clutch problem, your going to have to pull of the clutch cover anyways so thats the first place to look. I'm sure someone here has had first hand experience with the same problem, they'll chime in.

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing. I was going to take it apart but it's too cold to wash it right now. I just want to have an idea of whats going on. Thanks.

I had the exact same thing happen to me shortly after working on my clutch. I was having a problem with my banshee accelerating and determined it was a bad clutch. I replaced it and took it for a test ride and it just gave loose and I didn't even feel it happen, it just was like it was in neutral in every gear. The locknut came loose due to the fact (I think) that the huge nut (32mm or something) which I don't know the name of being loose. The guy that put my banshee back together before me forgot to use the lockwasher. That was supposed to be torqued to 90 N*M and I could spin it with my fingers. So I am guessing that your locknut came loose and let the friction/clutch plates open up(I don't mean the 32mm one I mean the small locknut on the outside). I could be wrong, just trying to give input.

EDIT: Holy crap I just realized that you live in Frackville. You mean like close to St. Clair? I live around Schuylkill Haven.

Edited by Banshee96

I had the exact same thing happen to me shortly after working on my clutch. I was having a problem with my banshee accelerating and determined it was a bad clutch. I replaced it and took it for a test ride and it just gave loose and I didn't even feel it happen, it just was like it was in neutral in every gear. The locknut came loose due to the fact (I think) that the huge nut (32mm or something) which I don't know the name of being loose. The guy that put my banshee back together before me forgot to use the lockwasher. That was supposed to be torqued to 90 N*M and I could spin it with my fingers. So I am guessing that your locknut came loose and let the friction/clutch plates open up(I don't mean the 32mm one I mean the small locknut on the outside). I could be wrong, just trying to give input.

EDIT: Holy crap I just realized that you live in Frackville. You mean like close to St. Clair? I live around Schuylkill Haven.

Yeah, we go down to St. Clair every once in a while. Usually down by Walmart and the waterfalls. I mostly ride around Shenandoah and the surrounding areas. Where do you ride at?

Edited by mall0y

Yeah, we go down to St. Clair every once in a while. Usually down by Walmart and the waterfalls. I mostly ride around Shenandoah and the surrounding areas. Where do you ride at?

Yeah I figured you rode down by Wal-mart. I've never ridden there suprisingly. I usually ride up on Sharp mt. in Pottsville or up at Bear Gap, near Shenandoah.

if your talking about the nut on the clutch basket in the center yourcable would just to in and not release...that is what happen to mine....also near both of use in palo alto....

if your talking about the nut on the clutch basket in the center yourcable would just to in and not release...that is what happen to mine....also near both of use in palo alto....

Yeah my cable was like that. I didn't really think about that when I posted. Yeah I'm up the Pottsville way quite a bit. Small world.

Yeah my cable was like that. I didn't really think about that when I posted. Yeah I'm up the Pottsville way quite a bit. Small world.

yep...just about finish with my rebuild stared only with a new clutch kit ended with over 3 grand in to the motor and tranny...i think i put too much power to give it to my 15 yr old....

yep...just about finish with my rebuild stared only with a new clutch kit ended with over 3 grand in to the motor and tranny...i think i put too much power to give it to my 15 yr old....

I'm sure he will appreciate the power. :biggrin: I know I would have when I was 15.

I'm sure he will appreciate the power. :biggrin: I know I would have when I was 15.

ok to get back to your problem....I would check that nut on the clutch basket then fresh fluid in the case...but if you do get it ingear and feel like netural might need to put new clutches in it..

ok to get back to your problem....I would check that nut on the clutch basket then fresh fluid in the case...but if you do get it ingear and feel like netural might need to put new clutches in it..

The clutch is relativley new. About 8 months on it. It is a cheap Tusk one, but I was in a pinch and needed one quick. Hopefully I can tear it apart this weekend. Thanks Guys.