What is so bad about DG pipes

pittss1c

I am just curious because that is what is on the banshee I just bought.

I guess I am just curious what I am missing. Is it durability or performance.

It doesn't seem to have much power after about 10,000 RPM, but that seems to be the case on other pipes too. I have seen many references to them sucking, but I have not seen much on why.

alot of people like to shit on DG pipes but they are definately better than stock.i heard they do have a few fit and finish issues though. i have never owned a set personaly but there is a pipe comparison on here somewhere that will give hp #s for dg pipes on a unmodified stock motor. use the search option at the top of the page and you may find it.

Edited by the grinch

Well, like mentioned before, they are better than stock. They just completely suck though.

1) Sound cruddy

2) Preform cruddy (no low, alright mid, mediocre top)

3) Ugly

4) Heavy

There are so many better pipes out there. My personally favorites are FMF Fatty's and Toomey T6's.

My dads employee had DG's also. omg, worst pipe ever made for them. They dont tune the pipes, they just kinda make curves and stick it on. Whereas FMF and Toomey study the sonic wave and try to maximize the timing for the wave to return.

I have the DG pipes and silencers on my 96 shee. They were on it when I bought it to. I personally like the sound of them. They are a little louder then stock but give a much more noticeable (pinging) sound which I like. I haven't gotten a chance to ride the quad yet because i am still putting a few things back together on it. As for durability, they don't seem to be very good in that aspect. The pipes tarnish and get ugly quick and the chroming on the silencers is flaking. They do fit nice and tight though. Idk, I wouldn't have bought them but thats just my .02 cents!

I wouldn't have bought them either (they were just on there when I got it)

I have seen the graphs, but I am not sure how relevant they are to a significantly modified engine.

Graphs for my engine with toomeys vs DG would be nice. (anyone want to loan me some)

The fit around the petcock stinks. I will just have to wait and see how they hold up. They don't totally lack power. I am in danger of going over backwards in 1st and 2nd at all times with the flick of my thumb.

Here is a recording It sounds a little deeper in the video then they do live.

I dont like the DG aka Doller General pipes either but a friends old junky bike with them hauls azz for a stock mild ported cylinder,stock bored carbs and he weighs 300 lbs. I didnt know they only add 1 hp. Beats on lots of piped 450s at the dunes with em.