Blueprint

blue printing is just an old method/technology used when building motors to set tolerances and such. But it still works. Alot of guys that build motors for racing (Go-Karts) still blue print them.

The challenge question for that builder would be to ask to see the blue print he would be using on your engine............ I would be willing to be he doesn't have one, in which case, he is probably just checking to make sure things are true, round, and/or flat. :geek:

The challenge question for that builder would be to ask to see the blue print he would be using on your engine............ I would be willing to be he doesn't have one, in which case, he is probably just checking to make sure things are true, round, and/or flat. :geek:

for the go-karts or for any motor in general?

i know that my dad had his little log book and calculations all mapped out for differant builds when we raced. but he would never share them.

and there was also another very large engin builder by the name of Ronnies Speed Shop. he as well has all his calcs howevere you would never get him to sure them with you either. thats how he makes his money.

thats like thining that A&S or Packard or any of these guys would spil the beans on how they are building thier motors. you can bet your bottom dollar they do NOT build customers motors the same way they build their own

Edited by Bansh-eman

Blueprinting is just a term an engine builder uses to make you think they are doing something extra, some will actually charge more to blueprint an engine. The real meaning is as was stated,to bring the engine back to factory specs but you dont want to put an engine together using all the factory specs anyway.You need to follow whatever the piston manufacturer recommends for side wall clearance as different pistons are made of different alloys and higher or lower silicon content which will change there thermal expansion properties. I also doubt he has the actual blueprints from Yamaha for the 350 twin although most of the important ones are in any good service manual.Just let your builder do what he wants and dont question it unless he trys to charge you for the blueprinting.Ive been a machinist and engine builder for over fifteen years and I always keep a log of all clearances and measurements taken during final assembly and send it with the customer so there are no questions. :biggrin:

Blueprinting is just a term an engine builder uses to make you think they are doing something extra, some will actually charge more to blueprint an engine. The real meaning is as was stated,to bring the engine back to factory specs but you dont want to put an engine together using all the factory specs anyway.You need to follow whatever the piston manufacturer recommends for side wall clearance as different pistons are made of different alloys and higher or lower silicon content which will change there thermal expansion properties. I also doubt he has the actual blueprints from Yamaha for the 350 twin although most of the important ones are in any good service manual.Just let your builder do what he wants and dont question it unless he trys to charge you for the blueprinting.Ive been a machinist and engine builder for over fifteen years and I always keep a log of all clearances and measurements taken during final assembly and send it with the customer so there are no questions. :biggrin:

sorry brotha but you are very far from the truth on this. the term blue print does NOT refer to blue prints like how a house is designed. And it is NOT bringing the motor back to factory specs. It IS an actual way of building a motor to get more power out of it. There is more to building motors then jus buying a 64mm piston and tossing it into your 64mm cylinder.

I thought that is what I said?I didnt mean stock bore size and by blueprints I mean a list of FACTORY engine clearances not a picture of something. :confused:

it has nothing to do with factory clearances. it has t do with the builder preferances of clearances. and having the parts machined to match perfectly to his likeing.

The term blueprinting is very broad when applied to engine building. It can be but is not limited to weighing and balancing pistons, connecting rods, using a torque-plate when boring the cylinders, decking the cylinders, balancing the flywheel, correcting casting flaws or differences between two like parts ect. ect. ect. As bansh-eman said it's not a paper blueprint like when you build a house.

It doesnt mean they make an actual "blueprint" or drawing or schematic. That would be silly and a waste at best. It means all moving components are perfectly matched to each other to provide the best operating engine possible.

ie... Matching rods by weight, matching pistons by weight and diameter, matching pistons to cylinders by machining and weighing so they have perfect PWC. Trueing the crank. Matching weight on all wrist pins. ETC...

Blueprinting has nothing to do with drafting. LOL In this case of course.

The term blueprinting is very broad when applied to engine building. It can be but is not limited to weighing and balancing pistons, connecting rods, using a torque-plate when boring the cylinders, decking the cylinders, balancing the flywheel, correcting casting flaws or differences between two like parts ect. ect. ect. As bansh-eman said it's not a paper blueprint like when you build a house.

"Amen"

Blueprinting has nothing to do with drafting. LOL In this case of course.

Technically, it could sort of have something to do with drafting........... if you had a set of prints for your engine, but most people do not have access to things like that (including most engine shops). :geek: