fresh top end

well, as i posted a couple of weeks ago, I had the banshee running... after a total of 7 hours of heat cycles and about and hour of run time checking jetting I went out to Dumont Dunes to have some fun. got there, let the motor warm up, did a fast pass, swapped plugs, did a 1-6 run, checked plug color again, just a tad rich but not horrible, go ride for 2 hours then call it a night. go out in the morning start it up/warm up, go ride about 30 minutes, making an easy pass up comp hill and the right piston explodes in the cylinder... hit the kill switch and coast down the hill, get towed back to camp and pull the plugs, right side is melted and metal all over it, left side is perfect white...

moral of the story is, when you do a rebuild, make sure to buy new intakes if they may be questionable, the left side had a crack in it that I didnt see when I was re-assembling it and didnt show itself untill running around the dunes for a couple of hours... I havent taken anything apart on it, but the right side has 0 compression, but the left still feels fine, everything will be torn down once I have the money to start rebuilding again... looks like I wont be able to do it for $300 this time.

anyway, thanks for reading all this crap, I'm still a little pissed about the whole situation.

well, as i posted a couple of weeks ago, I had the banshee running... after a total of 7 hours of heat cycles and about and hour of run time checking jetting I went out to Dumont Dunes to have some fun. got there, let the motor warm up, did a fast pass, swapped plugs, did a 1-6 run, checked plug color again, just a tad rich but not horrible, go ride for 2 hours then call it a night. go out in the morning start it up/warm up, go ride about 30 minutes, making an easy pass up comp hill and the right piston explodes in the cylinder... hit the kill switch and coast down the hill, get towed back to camp and pull the plugs, right side is melted and metal all over it, left side is perfect white...

moral of the story is, when you do a rebuild, make sure to buy new intakes if they may be questionable, the left side had a crack in it that I didnt see when I was re-assembling it and didnt show itself untill running around the dunes for a couple of hours... I havent taken anything apart on it, but the right side has 0 compression, but the left still feels fine, everything will be torn down once I have the money to start rebuilding again... looks like I wont be able to do it for $300 this time.

anyway, thanks for reading all this crap, I'm still a little pissed about the whole situation.

This is why a leakdown test is so important, did you do one? this doesnt mean your intake didnt form a leak after the test though, some things we can't control.

A16.jpg