painting plastics

flattrackin92

I am having a guy paint my plastics. they are lookin sweet but do you guys think that they will last and not crack. The painter is mixing a flex agent into the primer to help prevent it from cracking. I only race flat track and tt so they shouldnt take to much of a beating. So lets hear you guys thoughts on this

keep it on its tires and it will be fine. My bro and I paint bike for people all the time and have not had a craking problem yet... The flex agent is a temporary deal, it will flash out over time, but its still alright to add. If you take care of your bike, dont crash it and just use common sense around it, you will be fine.

to tell you the truth painting fenders is the biggest mistake because if the get cold they crack, bend they crack, you cant put vinal decals on it. If the reason you are trying to paint them is because there are white stress marks you can take a heat gun and fix it perfictly.

Mine were custom painted and the only real issues so far is around the mounting bolts on the rear plastics. It is cracking and coming off from the flexing at the mounting points.

Keil Im with ya bro. If you have a painted bike, yes they will get fucked up if you stack them up. Ive had mine for 5 years on the same paint job, stacked that bitch up HARD 3 times, its all good. I have 1 bad crack I didnt fix (My Bad). Other than that no prob.

Keil Im with ya bro. If you have a painted bike, yes they will get fucked up if you stack them up. Ive had mine for 5 years on the same paint job, stacked that bitch up HARD 3 times, its all good. I have 1 bad crack I didnt fix (My Bad). Other than that no prob.

There is a very easy fix for the rear fenders doing that...

1- before you paint then drill the mounting hole out a little bigger, get a rubber grommet from lowes and put in there. Problem solved.

2- If you dont want to drill a hole in the plastic, epoxy a washer over the hole so when you tighten the bolt down the washer doesnt want to spin on the paint and crack the clear.. and dont tighten the bolt down too much.

If you have having really bad cracking in weather conditions or flexing you either didnt use good product or it wasnt not prepped correctly.

C&B- Good to know it wont completley destroy paint if you crash, mine may be on its lid at walden this year... lol

There is a very easy fix for the rear fenders doing that...

1- before you paint then drill the mounting hole out a little bigger, get a rubber grommet from lowes and put in there. Problem solved.

2- If you dont want to drill a hole in the plastic, epoxy a washer over the hole so when you tighten the bolt down the washer doesnt want to spin on the paint and crack the clear.. and dont tighten the bolt down too much.

If you have having really bad cracking in weather conditions or flexing you either didnt use good product or it wasnt not prepped correctly.

C&B- Good to know it wont completley destroy paint if you crash, mine may be on its lid at walden this year... lol

LOL Keil. that crack came from high sidin it down in a wash. Why is it as soon as you get the painted plastics on, you stack them up?!! Lol. And BTW boys, Keil is right about the washer thing, really does work. Later