Having electrical problems...

Ok, recently we picked up an 89 banshee. It didn't run because it isnt getting spark,

We Ohm'd everything out and the stator/coil/pickup coil seem to be fine including on/off switch and ignition. We looked over the wiring and harness and it appears to be fine also.

After all this we figured the CDI might be bad. We took one off a 2001 and found out the plugs are different. We adapted the older plugs to the CDI and realizzed there's one extra green wire with a yellow stripe that wasn't on the 89 CDI. the 89 only had 4 wires. We figured this might be for the TORS on the newer models, but arent sure. SO we plugged in the new CDI which we knew was off a running bike, and still got no spark. We don't know if the green wire might have something to do with it.

Anyone think they might be able to help us out?? We're running out of ideas and getting frustrated. We're trying to find a new harness and CDI that are meant for the older models.

The wiring harness seem to be okay after tracing the wires but was a little hacked up. If everythinbg for the TORS is disconnected, 3 wires to the TOR box, plugs disconnected from carbs, will it stop the spark or not interfere with it? there was a black and and black with white stripe connected together. we tried it both ways connected and disconnected. not sure what it orignally attached to. no spark either way.

Ok, recently we picked up an 89 banshee. It didn't run because it isnt getting spark,

We Ohm'd everything out and the stator/coil/pickup coil seem to be fine including on/off switch and ignition. We looked over the wiring and harness and it appears to be fine also.

After all this we figured the CDI might be bad. We took one off a 2001 and found out the plugs are different. We adapted the older plugs to the CDI and realizzed there's one extra green wire with a yellow stripe that wasn't on the 89 CDI. the 89 only had 4 wires. We figured this might be for the TORS on the newer models, but arent sure. SO we plugged in the new CDI which we knew was off a running bike, and still got no spark. We don't know if the green wire might have something to do with it.

Anyone think they might be able to help us out?? We're running out of ideas and getting frustrated. We're trying to find a new harness and CDI that are meant for the older models.

The wiring harness seem to be okay after tracing the wires but was a little hacked up. If everythinbg for the TORS is disconnected, 3 wires to the TOR box, plugs disconnected from carbs, will it stop the spark or not interfere with it? there was a black and and black with white stripe connected together. we tried it both ways connected and disconnected. not sure what it orignally attached to. no spark either way.

your tors should not have anything to do with your electric I have a few extra cdi boxes and I run a 88 it has the same plugs I have no idea what the extra wire is there should be four wires going in and four coming out where do you live I might be able to send you one cheap I always have extra parts

your tors should not have anything to do with your electric I have a few extra cdi boxes and I run a 88 it has the same plugs I have no idea what the extra wire is there should be four wires going in and four coming out where do you live I might be able to send you one cheap I always have extra parts

our zip is 18360. we're in stroudsburg, PA. If you have any CDI's that are the old style you can sell cheap that would be great. PM me with details.

Anyone else that might be able to help with our situation?

The extra wire is a rpm limiter for the e-brake. It will still have spark, but not rev up. You more than likely have an issue somewhere else. I barely ever see cdi's go bad. You need to absolutely make sure your are properly checking resistance and ohms, not just making continuity checks. Make sure you understand how the system works. Most of the no spark issues I see are melted harnesses, bad stator windings, or a bad stator pickup coil. Or a tors wiring issue.

did you get my message i sent you..

I have an 88 with an extra cdi live in pottsville ,pa.. i had the same problem but did it the hard way...did you check both checks on the stator that is in the book or just the one??

if the person who had it before you used the wrong hub puller they could have damage the stator and or the flywheel like mine and said it the cdi ...where you cant check it unless you have an other bike that you know it works with the same wire harness...

did you get my message i sent you..

I have an 88 with an extra cdi live in pottsville ,pa.. i had the same problem but did it the hard way...did you check both checks on the stator that is in the book or just the one??

Yeah, I got your pm. My dads gonna call ya probable tonight or tomorow to set something up.

if the person who had it before you used the wrong hub puller they could have damage the stator and or the flywheel like mine and said it the cdi ...where you cant check it unless you have an other bike that you know it works with the same wire harness...

Well, we just bought a harness off ebay, but the guy hasnt got back to us. He also had a CDI so we asked how much to ship both to us, and he never replied..

So, like I said in the previous post, hes gonna give ya a call. Do you have a harness too? Or a stator?

Snopczynski:

thanks for the info

Well, we just bought a harness off ebay, but the guy hasnt got back to us. He also had a CDI so we asked how much to ship both to us, and he never replied..

So, like I said in the previous post, hes gonna give ya a call. Do you have a harness too? Or a stator?

Snopczynski:

thanks for the info

I do have an extra stator . the wireing harnest no i dont but the bike shop near me might have an other one that is where i picked mine up at for about 50 bucks. just give a call and will try to hook you up..

I do have an extra stator . the wireing harnest no i dont but the bike shop near me might have an other one that is where i picked mine up at for about 50 bucks. just give a call and will try to hook you up..

Sorry I never called you, busy as hell lately.

Yamadog got to me first, so Im gonna try to work somethin out with him first. If I dont do anything with him then ill get back to you.