CRANK SEAL HELP!

my top end is off and in the process of getting a rebuild. Can anyone tell me where the crank seals are? I am a rookie when it comes to rebuilds and I just want to check them before I put it all back together. Do you have to open up the bottom end to check them? I tried to download the service manual on here but it's gone. some of the symptoms before the rebuild i read about on here kinda sounded like a crank seal prob and I just want to ceck them. any way to do this without a leakdown test? Thanks

my top end is off and in the process of getting a rebuild. Can anyone tell me where the crank seals are? I am a rookie when it comes to rebuilds and I just want to check them before I put it all back together. Do you have to open up the bottom end to check them? I tried to download the service manual on here but it's gone. some of the symptoms before the rebuild i read about on here kinda sounded like a crank seal prob and I just want to ceck them. any way to do this without a leakdown test? Thanks

If you split your cases you should probably replace your seals anyway. Jeff at FAST has some good prices on seal kits. The main seals are on either end of the crank.

You can see some really good pictures of them right here: http://dunereview.com/rebuild.htm

• 3 weeks later...

here is a how to rebuild a banshee engine

http://www.dunereview.com/rebuild.htm

hope it works....

and

here http://offroadvideos.magnify.net/ you can see some videos

Buy a clymers manual. It has everything you need. You can check the ignition side crank seal without a pressure tester, but not the clutch side. The clutch side is the one that more frequently goes. More stress.

However, there is no way to check it now that the top end is off because the bike has to be running..

So...now is the time, get dirty, learn how things work. Take cases out, split 'em, and learn. Replace all the seals, kits are cheap.

I know online manuals are free, quick and easy to use. But, nothing can replace a complete paper manual.

Unless you like a greasy keyboard and have a computer in your garage/shop.

Don't be scared like they said split em and replace seals "DO THINGS RIGHT" my motto when i was starting out was always "It was put together so it can go back together" Just gotta read and do things right

Edited by KaosBanshee44