smoking bad out of one tail pipe

rline shee

so heres the deal. my banshee was running great all day. :biggrin: Then my buddies and I were trying to do some slow wheelies with the foot brake and throttle. :cool: After a while i noticed that the right side (kick start side) was smoking alot more that the other side. :ermm: i tried to run it out a little and i even change the plugs on it, but none of that helped.

it doesent sound or run any different. but the right side is blowing out smoke like a mesquito fogger. :down: one thing is that this shee sat for a while not being used very much until i got it. At one point when we were doing the slow wheelies i brought it back to far and slide off the back and the banshee was 12 o'clock for a couple of seconds running.

i really will be greatfull for any advice on what the problem is and maybe even how to correct it. thanks a bunch.

thats a typical blown crank seal symptom. monitor your oil in the transmission. if it "disapear" there is your problem

monitor my transmission oil. thats some great advice. Is that very hard to replace? is there any chance that the smoke will go away on its own, like the tranny oil got into the piston head from doing slow wheelies? Have you ever heard that happening before? thanks for the advice! :biggrin:

monitor my transmission oil. thats some great advice. Is that very hard to replace? is there any chance that the smoke will go away on its own, like the tranny oil got into the piston head from doing slow wheelies? Have you ever heard that happening before? thanks for the advice! :biggrin:

the other guy is right..you have a air leak which is causing it to suck the oil into your motor causing the ton of smoke!!or you may have a bad crank bearing..the bad part is you will have to tear down the whole motor..i wouldnt think twice about not doing it neither...ive had a couple do this to me just be glad it wasnt on the other side or it could have been worse...good luck..

so heres the deal. my banshee was running great all day. :biggrin: Then my buddies and I were trying to do some slow wheelies with the foot brake and throttle. :cool: After a while i noticed that the right side (kick start side) was smoking alot more that the other side. :ermm: i tried to run it out a little and i even change the plugs on it, but none of that helped.

it doesent sound or run any different. but the right side is blowing out smoke like a mesquito fogger. :down: one thing is that this shee sat for a while not being used very much until i got it. At one point when we were doing the slow wheelies i brought it back to far and slide off the back and the banshee was 12 o'clock for a couple of seconds running.

i really will be greatfull for any advice on what the problem is and maybe even how to correct it. thanks a bunch.

:evil:could it be steam instead of smoke...may be water getting into the piston...

dbr

i think it may be the crank seal from what everyone is saying. it is definatly oil smoke coming from my pipe, it kind of hangs in the air smelling like oil.

that sucks that i have to tear the whole engine down to change it out. :down: Is there a good way to tell if my crank bearing are bad besides from wiggling the crank?

Thanks for the fast reply's.

i think it may be the crank seal from what everyone is saying. it is definatly oil smoke coming from my pipe, it kind of hangs in the air smelling like oil.

that sucks that i have to tear the whole engine down to change it out. :down: Is there a good way to tell if my crank bearing are bad besides from wiggling the crank?

Thanks for the fast reply's.

if you think the topend is all good just flip the motor over and split the cases from the bottom and leave the cylinders on...that way it wont be so hard on ya...but i would change the bearings and seals and use new gaskets..

:evil:could it be steam instead of smoke...may be water getting into the piston...

dbr

the way it sounds on yours with you saying steam...is you may have a oring blowed in your head..fire the bike up let it run for a minute to let it warm up then turn the bike off pull your radiator cap off if water shoots out your radiator you have a bad oring..

the way it sounds on yours with you saying steam...is you may have a oring blowed in your head..fire the bike up let it run for a minute to let it warm up then turn the bike off pull your radiator cap off if water shoots out your radiator you have a bad oring..

i have been told it is bad for the piston/cylinder to run it much so i am waiting, patiently (trying!!), for the larger plugs (for the pressure test)...if i can't figure it out i am gonna take it to Tim at Titan...

dbr

i have been told it is bad for the piston/cylinder to run it much so i am waiting, patiently (trying!!), for the larger plugs (for the pressure test)...if i can't figure it out i am gonna take it to Tim at Titan...

dbr

true...i would do the pressure test then if its good..check the head for a bad o-ring..and tim is a great builder as well...when do you see steem when you run the motor and take the spark plugs out?

true...i would do the pressure test then if its good..check the head for a bad o-ring..and tim is a great builder as well...when do you see steem when you run the motor and take the spark plugs out?

:evil: yeah...and that pipe stays cool compared to the other one....that plug stays relatively "clean"...doesnt the pressure test check the head o-ring too...that is what i think it probably is...but just got this motor...no telling really...

dbr

when you say it might be steam, is there a difference in the color of the smoke? And when you say the radiator, you mean the actual radiator, not the under the seat over flow tank? The smoke is white in color and it doesent dissapate very fast in the air. If i fill the radiator and over flow tank, will i notice the change in water level right away if it is the o ring in the head? You guys rock!