low cyl pressure?

I took my shee out last weekend for a rip down the road. It's 35 degree's but I really couldn't wait to ride it again. It went through the first 3 gears like it always does then as i hit 4th it started to break up, so I slowed down turned around and went through the gears again, same thing when i hit 4th.

My buddy says to check compression and see what that tells me, I expected 160lbs with 19cc domes but I came out w/ 135 in each cyl. Is this low for 19cc? I am also posting a picture of my plugs.

Another buddy says the reason the bike is falling off is my rad valves are dirty, I have not checked them yet but is this possible?

My mods are in my signature.

Thanks,

Adam

post-26933-1202510558.jpeg

I took my shee out last weekend for a rip down the road. It's 35 degree's but I really couldn't wait to ride it again. It went through the first 3 gears like it always does then as i hit 4th it started to break up, so I slowed down turned around and went through the gears again, same thing when i hit 4th.

My buddy says to check compression and see what that tells me, I expected 160lbs with 19cc domes but I came out w/ 135 in each cyl. Is this low for 19cc? I am also posting a picture of my plugs.

Another buddy says the reason the bike is falling off is my rad valves are dirty, I have not checked them yet but is this possible?

Thanks,

Adam

I cant see your plugs well enough to say, but your probably on the lean side if it's cold out. Did you hold the throttle wide open as you did your comp test??

No I did not hold the throttle wide open. This site wont allow me to post a pic bigger than that, or I don't know how.

Try your comp test again, this time holding the throttle wide open and kick it over at least 10 times(until needle stops moving) you should see a significant difference. As for the cutting out, your jetting needs to be richer in the cold weather. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Adam

elevation, bore size, and exhaust port height are going to effect your compression. So, we need to know all these things first. Stock porting, stock bore, sea level compression with 19cc domes will be about 180-190 psi.

elevation, bore size, and exhaust port height are going to effect your compression. So, we need to know all these things first. Stock porting, stock bore, sea level compression with 19cc domes will be about 180-190 psi.

He doesn't list any porting in his mods, and said it had 160 last time it was tested. Seemed a little low to me (sea level-19cc domes), but that could be a variation in guages. He wasn't holding the throttle wide open during the test, so it read low.

Ok tested it again with wide open throttle and at least 10 kicks and I got 160 a side. As long as it's the same on both sides this is not a problem right? It is not ported and as far as elevation, It's 400ft above sea level.

Does anyone have a comment on the rad valve's? could they be sticking and give me the sputter? I read that rad valves have to be jetted leaner.

Ok tested it again with wide open throttle and at least 10 kicks and I got 160 a side. As long as it's the same on both sides this is not a problem right? It is not ported and as far as elevation, It's 400ft above sea level.

Does anyone have a comment on the rad valve's? could they be sticking and give me the sputter? I read that rad valves have to be jetted leaner.

Check your plugs, they should be grahm-cracker brown on the flat at the end of the threads. If they are whiteish you are too lean somewhere (pilot, needle, main) If they are dark brown/black then you are too rich somewhere

Also, how long has it been since this thing was ridden last? Is your gas fresh, are your carbs clean??? Just some stuff to think about. If my shee is parked more than a month, I drain the fuel from the tank and carbs then put some fresh fuel in next time I ride. An other alternative is stabilizer.