UPS backup and BIOS reset

dogboystoy

OK, this is the second time the power went out for several hours and my ups was supposed to shut down the pc. Well when i reboot I have to re set-up my bios, for my RAID drives, otherwise my pc wont boot. I was thinking that the battery (watch battery) on my MOBO is bad. But my MOBO is less than a year old (bad battery on MOBO?). But I have to go through the Bios when my PC has lost power for more than a few hours and re- set up the whole she bang.

Any suggestions?

And yes I have the latest BIOS. I am guessing the battery on the MOBO.

I agree...get a new battery for your PC. I think they're like 2 or 3 bucks.

PC really rely on power to save BIOS info...after a little time.

Also...disaster recover test your auto shut down for your UPS. Unplug it from the wall...see if it will shut down your PC gracefully....

Not that it should matter for the BIOS battery, but for piece of mind.

OK, this is the second time the power went out for several hours and my ups was supposed to shut down the pc. Well when i reboot I have to re set-up my bios, for my RAID drives, otherwise my pc wont boot. I was thinking that the battery (watch battery) on my MOBO is bad. But my MOBO is less than a year old (bad battery on MOBO?). But I have to go through the Bios when my PC has lost power for more than a few hours and re- set up the whole she bang.

Any suggestions?

UPS's have a shelf life. The ones I've seen are simply a battery that keeps topped off when plugged into the outlet. If the power goes out and you don't have time to shut the PC down, it's probably a pretty good indication that you need to replace it.

Also, just measure the battery voltage while it's on the motherboard. If you remove it to measure the voltage, you really won't have any idea if it's good or bad, because a voltmeter has an extremely high input impedance and won't put a load on the battery.

Good luck!

FWIW, my motherboard has a bad battery on it too. Hate when the power goes out and I gotta reset up all of my overclocking and date/time and stuff.

FWIW, my motherboard has a bad battery on it too. Hate when the power goes out and I gotta reset up all of my overclocking and date/time and stuff.

Just use the old pencil trick....so you don't have to worry about overclocking in BIOS...

:yelrotflmao: :yelrotflmao:

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions?

I'm not going to say that it is not your battery, but from my experience I can't be certain it is your battery. My Old Epox MB would always lose Bios settings when unpluged, even on a new battery (my first logical thoughts as well). My old DFI NF4 board (I'm still using which cost about 4 times as much) has never once lost bios settings even after removing the MB from the PC completely. It could just be the model of the board IMO, but it's hard to determin. Those batteries should be good for at least 5 years if not 10, but like I said replacing the battery in my Old MB never solved the problem. (Not sure what good the battery actualy was, since that is what it is for!)

If it is a cheaper MB and replacing the battery does not work, you can either deal with it or buy something else.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but this is actualy the reason I got my UPS in the first place. My only advice is to write down your settings on and index card and keep it in a safe place. My Theory is that my old MB was doing this because it was using overclocked settings, but the board has since died from leaking caps. Maybe you can play and let us know if it still loses its settings when not overclocked.