check out my new HIDs

StrRacerX

those are definitely brighter than the ones on my truck!! :blink:

Truck probably has a reflector in front of the bulb? I noticed this as well on my truck as well and its probably a good thing for all the little civics and priuses in the city, but my foglights are damn bright with HID's in them (no reflectors) These are very bright HID's and you can run them with the light covers which is definately a plus. Actualy the plastic housing isn't bad either cause it is lightweight compared to alternatives.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justintoxicated, (or any of you guys) Have you ever seen the trail tech 4" HID's? How do they compare. I am going to go HID, just trying to decide which ones to get. The ones in the above pics are a little large for my taste. Been thinking of 2 of the 4" trail techs in the stock postion and maybe one of the original trail tech HID's on the bars. What do you think?

Justintoxicated, (or any of you guys) Have you ever seen the trail tech 4" HID's? How do they compare. I am going to go HID, just trying to decide which ones to get. The ones in the above pics are a little large for my taste. Been thinking of 2 of the 4" trail techs in the stock postion and maybe one of the original trail tech HID's on the bars. What do you think?

The problem with the smaller lights is they are probably not going to be as efficient. When you start using bulbs as bright as these you need a larger reflector to be efficient. I havent tested the 4" trailtechs (only sceen them) but one of thes is probably 2+ times as bright as the MR16 versions. (I dont have a way to measure really other than seat of the pants) If these are too big the 50 watt trailtech 4" HID would probably be close (these are 35 watts each) but I'm still not sure if they would be brighter. 50 watt HIDs will need some crazy power if you want to run more than 2 good luck. With the lightbar, if they really bug you that much you can just unplug them durring the day it's only 2 allenheads take about 5 minutes... Supposedly the new trailtechs have Low Voltage Auto re-strike now, but since these cheap kragen lights go down to lower volts to begin with I have not had them shut off on me anyways. Id probably go with 3 35 watt car HID's for maximum efficiency if possible although I still have to figure out what to do for the handlebars, for now I'm going to run 2 trailtech MR16 Floods there since I h ave a huge battery.

Edited by Justintoxicated

hey whats up justin, the info you gave me last year helped out a lot, thanks.

the HID lights work great. i used them here in san diego (i went riding at proctor valley road and they light up everything). Still can't wait to try them out on president's day weekend. but i do want to get the trail tech mr16 HID lights, just so the lights will complimant each other.

i just got back from ocotillo wells and the lights did not come loose from all the vibration, which is a good thing

also the lights can be removed easily. two allen bolts and disconnect the harness. but i like to ride with the lights on : )

Justn, i would to see some pics of your lights

hey whats up justin, the info you gave me last year helped out a lot, thanks.

the HID lights work great. i used them here in san diego (i went riding at proctor valley road and they light up everything). Still can't wait to try them out on president's day weekend. but i do want to get the trail tech mr16 HID lights, just so the lights will complimant each other.

i just got back from ocotillo wells and the lights did not come loose from all the vibration, which is a good thing

also the lights can be removed easily. two allen bolts and disconnect the harness. but i like to ride with the lights on : )

Justn, i would to see some pics of your lights

It will be hard to get pics since I'm not around my bike, but they look like yours only I have a light bar that runs across. I will be heading to the dunes for presidents too. I might be selling 2 MR16's but I'm thinking about keeping the floods for now (undecided, and I need to test) Dont need all 4 anymore unless I mount 2 of them to my helmit but thats getting ridiculous. I'd actualy like to find another 35 watt car HID for the bars with a larger reflector than the trailtech, it would be easier on the electrical system to run then both MR16's.

It will be hard to get pics since I'm not around my bike, but they look like yours only I have a light bar that runs across. I will be heading to the dunes for presidents too. I might be selling 2 MR16's but I'm thinking about keeping the floods for now (undecided, and I need to test) Dont need all 4 anymore unless I mount 2 of them to my helmit but thats getting ridiculous. I'd actualy like to find another 35 watt car HID for the bars with a larger reflector than the trailtech, it would be easier on the electrical system to run then both MR16's.

a friend of mine has the mr16 HIDs, and i am not too impressed by the lighting. like you said, that lights are too small. i do like the baja design fuego 4" lights:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/images/items/613296big.jpg

i just can't justify the price of these lights,... yet.

a friend of mine has the mr16 HIDs, and i am not too impressed by the lighting. like you said, that lights are too small. i do like the baja design fuego 4" lights:

https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/images/items/613296big.jpg

i just can't justify the price of these lights,... yet.

Exactly my thoughts. Esp when you have two of these already.

Just fyi Baja Designs is offering a free mounting bracket and aluminum guard with the HID Fuego kits until the end of February. Thats $150 worth of free parts. They are also offering 10% off Fuego halogen kits. Let me know if you have any questions.

The $150 in mounting hardware covers the cost of both of these kragen HID's which are more than likely brighter than the 35 watt Fuegos. Just an example of why I don't think the current prices are reasonable. Sure they are proabbly better quality but the Kragen lights also have replaceable parts and I'm not too concerned with the plastic housing, the glass lense and polycarbonate covers are as nice as anything, I don't even need to remove the covers when I run them. Now if I could get that handlebar setup for $200 bones with one 35 watt flood, I might be interested.

The $150 in mounting hardware covers the cost of both of these kragen HID's which are more than likely brighter than the 35 watt Fuegos. Just an example of why I don't think the current prices are reasonable. Sure they are proabbly better quality but the Kragen lights also have replaceable parts and I'm not too concerned with the plastic housing, the glass lense and polycarbonate covers are as nice as anything, I don't even need to remove the covers when I run them. Now if I could get that handlebar setup for $200 bones with one 35 watt flood, I might be interested.

Like most things you get what you pay for. With hid's it is no different. Not all hid are created equal. Trying to compare a $100 hid to a $400 hid is like comparing a $200 diamond to a $5000 diamond. Sure they do the same thing but oh so differently. I've seen the kragen special and for $100 its a nice light but it is $100 for a reason. They use cheap bulb and ballasts and a shell made of plastic. I would be very surprised if it lasts more than a season. Their 30day warranty also doesn't inspire much confidence in their product. As for the light output it's ok but could be better. They use a 6000k or higher bulb which puts out less lumens than the 4300K bulbs found in the fuego. Also their driving pattern isn't that great. What it boils down to price. If you can afford a more expensive light I guarantee it outlast and outperform any cheap Chinese alternative.

Like most things you get what you pay for. With hid's it is no different. Not all hid are created equal. Trying to compare a $100 hid to a $400 hid is like comparing a $200 diamond to a $5000 diamond. Sure they do the same thing but oh so differently. I've seen the kragen special and for $100 its a nice light but it is $100 for a reason. They use cheap bulb and ballasts and a shell made of plastic. I would be very surprised if it lasts more than a season. Their 30day warranty also doesn't inspire much confidence in their product. As for the light output it's ok but could be better. They use a 6000k or higher bulb which puts out less lumens than the 4300K bulbs found in the fuego. Also their driving pattern isn't that great. What it boils down to price. If you can afford a more expensive light I guarantee it outlast and outperform any cheap Chinese alternative.

Well I'm finidng this to not be so true. These 2 are much brigher than all 4 of my Trailtech HID's which were quite a bit more expensive. The color of the bulbs on my lights is pretty white, not quite 6000k blue to my eyes, well it's about he same as my Dad's 5000k HID's anyways but not 4300k for sure, but some of that is preference in taste anyways... The difference in lumens isnt that bad in any case, and hell I could replace the bulbs when they go out. The plastic housing on this light seems fine for an atv because it looks and feels solid and weighs alot less and is replacable! I have cheap JDM HID bulbs and balasts in my truck and going on 3 years now no issues, while people I ,know have cheaper china HID's purchasead at the same time without any problems as well. Bulbs are not super expensive anyways and balasts are replacable. I could get 2 new china bulbs and ballast online for a little over $100 from a place that will warranty them if anything should happen.

I do agree that the BD lights are nicer but not as much as the price would indicate, thats why I said I'd pay $200 for a single light on the handlebars :) Also the Kragen lights can be found for as little as $75! I could buy 5 of them for the price of a single $400 light! I'm pretty sure these will be lasting longer than a season without any issues, but time will tell. In the end I was quite suprised at what I was getting for $85 each.