Ricky Stators

Justintoxicated

This is just an FYI.

If you are using a ricky stator that has 3 cheap ass screws holding the stator to the timing plate, make sure you upgrade the mounting hardware. Almsot every trip one of us has problems with our stators, usualy due to screws backing out of them then trashing the pickup coil. Last trip one of my screws actualy broke off in the timing plate allowing it to back out and trash my pickup. Had to get towed behind a buggy for over 10 miles...

I called Ricky Stator and they said they are now using grade 8 allen head bolts rather than the cheap china screws. Upgrade your hardware before you get stranded.

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I had 2 Ricky Stator flywheels in a row come completely apart where the face of the bowl attaches to the center sleeve that fits onto the crank.

I sent the first one back and they sent me the 2nd one for free. When that one broke as well, I just threw it away, took all the other Ricky Stator parts off my bike and moved on.

Ive had some of their stuff. It was all garbage. When the stator went, I sent it back and got another. Then I sold it on eBay wit my recipt so when it broke again, the poor bastard that bought it coud get another,. then I used the money to get a stock stator which works GREAT! F ricky stator. The hardware,. might as well have used plastic bolts with red thread locker.

Jbirdman - this is the problem caused by the cheap bolts that the hardware kit fixes.

They still make the best High Output banshee Stator. Its very easy to float the ground as well. You should have sent yours back rather than throwing it away, the new upgraded hardware is grade 8 allenhead bolts, these are not going to break off like the cheap china bolts... Lots of people had the same problem with the other screws coming apart, at least the took the initiative to fix the problem and warrantied my stator for free (I purchased the origional from them 8 years ago!). Still sucks when you break down because of problems no doubt...

Just wait till you HQ guys see my new HID setup next thanksgiving! Anyone want to buy some trailtech HID's?

Edited by Justintoxicated

Jbirdman - this is the problem caused by the cheap bolts that the hardware kit fixes.

They still make the best High Output banshee Stator. Its very easy to float the ground as well. You should have sent yours back rather than throwing it away, the new upgraded hardware is grade 8 allenhead bolts, these are not going to break off like the cheap china bolts... Lots of people had the same problem with the other screws coming apart, at least the took the initiative to fix the problem and warrantied my stator for free (I purchased the origional from them 8 years ago!). Still sucks when you break down because of problems no doubt...

Just wait till you HQ guys see my new HID setup next thanksgiving! Anyone want to buy some trailtech HID's?

My stator didn't break - the flywheel itself broke apart! :blink: ...twice!

I should have taken a picture. Anyway picture the flywheel sitting in your hand open side up like a cereal bowl. No remove that whole center piece and leave a 2-inch jagged hole in the face of the flywheel. That's what mine looked like (both times). And the first time it happened I was at St. Anthony's. ...6 miles from camp! :mad:

I put the stocker back on and didn't have any more problems.

My stator didn't break - the flywheel itself broke apart! :blink: ...twice!

I should have taken a picture. Anyway picture the flywheel sitting in your hand open side up like a cereal bowl. No remove that whole center piece and leave a 2-inch jagged hole in the face of the flywheel. That's what mine looked like (both times). And the first time it happened I was at St. Anthony's. ...6 miles from camp! :mad:

I put the stocker back on and didn't have any more problems.

My friend has the magnets break loose in his whch cause the crank to wobble then tookout his pickup coil.

Unfortunately I need the high output stator to run as much lighting as I am, or I would have serious battery drain at idle.