Check out the carnage.

Duner440

Check this out. This is off a friends bike that ran great. It made no wierd noises or anything. Compression was fine. Pulled apart the topend so he could sell the cylinders and here is what he found.

cylinders005.jpg

cylinders004.jpg

cylinders003.jpg

cylinders002.jpg

cylinders001.jpg

Now, my question is: Is this going to be useable? I know, it might be a stupid question! There were no symptoms of a problem, the piston and rings are fine. I am pretty sure that this will not bore out. What do you guys think? I know the right thing to do would be to replace it but, if it works, why?

Check this out. This is off a friends bike that ran great. It made no wierd noises or anything. Compression was fine. Pulled apart the topend so he could sell the cylinders and here is what he found.

cylinders005.jpg

cylinders004.jpg

cylinders003.jpg

cylinders002.jpg

cylinders001.jpg

Now, my question is: Is this going to be useable? I know, it might be a stupid question! There were no symptoms of a problem, the piston and rings are fine. I am pretty sure that this will not bore out. What do you guys think? I know the right thing to do would be to replace it but, if it works, why?

how deep are the marks?

Well, he isnt selling it now of course. I just couldnt believe that it didnt make any noise or that it didnt have any symptoms. The only reason he pulled them off was to sell them so he could buy some cubs. That is when he found this.

There is no "noise" when this happens. You just get a gradual, or perhaps, sudden loss of compression in the affected cylinder. I've seen this a couple times. The motor will not hardly idle on the affected cylinder; but still ran when on the throttle.

the motor ran hard and had no problem with idling i dont see how it would ever affect the compression (unless the ring would catch or get worn) being the the grooves are lower then the exhaust port. it would not even start building compression till it was past them. :shrug: In theory it would work till the rings wore out. Run it till it blows then go bigger that is what I think.

Man your friend is an idiot how would he not know that it was coming apart like that. I bet it was your bike and you are to afraid we will make fun of you for being so dumb. :down: There is no need to make up all of the lies. we will still be your friend.

Man, I was about to start talking mad shit to you! :yelrotflmao: Then I realized who it was. :biggrin: Good to see you on more Matt..

Those pics are pretty crazy, So that was Davids bike? If so I know that thing hasn't been ridden hard or nothin.. :whistling:

RIPPEN