cleaning and rebuilding

T-daddy

jus looking for sumthing to keep me busy over the winter jus wanted to know can i clean the engine with jus soap and water or do i need sum special stuff cause i need a real good cleaning carbs and all so i figure if i was gonna do that i mine as well pull engine and replase all seals and gaskets give it a fresh top

im kinda new to the banshee jus got it in july so how hard will it be to redo top and replace seals. thanx

u can but, drying the parts is another issue have a compressor ready, i love cheap carb cleaner cleans instantly and drys like a bone dont forget a service manual :cool:

Go to Napa and get some Degreasing Compound Concentrate. Best stuff ever. Cleaned my wifes cases today, the tops were black with gas, sand, dirt, oil, everything you can think of. Carb cleaner, brake clean would take it off, but this stuff turned it to nothing. After brushing this stuff on (its about the weight of real light oil), I carb cleaned it all off, then acetoned it since they are getting painted. This stuff isnt hard on rubber, seals, or bearings and it works fast. I cleaned these cases in about an hour today. Really good stuff.

Here they are all cleaned up...

2007_1102Raptor0001.jpg

Ready for primer...

2007_1102Raptor0010.jpg

Go to Napa and get some Degreasing Compound Concentrate. Best stuff ever. Cleaned my wifes cases today, the tops were black with gas, sand, dirt, oil, everything you can think of. Carb cleaner, brake clean would take it off, but this stuff turned it to nothing. After brushing this stuff on (its about the weight of real light oil), I carb cleaned it all off, then acetoned it since they are getting painted. This stuff isnt hard on rubber, seals, or bearings and it works fast. I cleaned these cases in about an hour today. Really good stuff.

Here they are all cleaned up...

2007_1102Raptor0001.jpg

Ready for primer...

2007_1102Raptor0010.jpg

thats looks really good that might might be what i need too got all kind of stuff on the cases so wgat about seal replacement and top end rebuild is it a hassel or pretty simple

Top end isnt too hard to do, but splitting the cases isnt real easy. Just make sure you have a clymer manual before you dive into anything. I dont think changing the seals is a bad idea if the bike has some age on it. May as well do it now while its cold then when it breaks and you want to ride it later.

u can but, drying the parts is another issue have a compressor ready, i love cheap carb cleaner cleans instantly and drys like a bone dont forget a service manual :cool:

is it good yo use this to clean engine

jus edit paste the link dont no how to add link srry

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/NOLM...ngine+Degreaser

Top end isnt too hard to do, but splitting the cases isnt real easy. Just make sure you have a clymer manual before you dive into anything. I dont think changing the seals is a bad idea if the bike has some age on it. May as well do it now while its cold then when it breaks and you want to ride it later.

basically my shee is like an 88 and a slight leak so i think its time to replace seals and top end checked compression its about 115 close to 120 on both sides is that good, and i do have a manual clymers and a service manually it tells u step by step instructions to take the bike totally apart diagnose and put back together so im good on that part but jus a lil scared cause i never did sumthin like this

basically my shee is like an 88 and a slight leak so i think its time to replace seals and top end checked compression its about 115 close to 120 on both sides is that good, and i do have a manual clymers and a service manually it tells u step by step instructions to take the bike totally apart diagnose and put back together so im good on that part but jus a lil scared cause i never did sumthin like this

I dont like engine degreaser like that. It doesnt do shit, and its hard on rubber and stuff. I just dont think it works, seems like you spray in on, let it set and it doenst do anything. You want this stuff...

2007_1102Raptor0013.jpg

If you get stuck on something during your case splitting or rebuild, there are plenty of helpful fellas on here that will get you back on track.

I dont like engine degreaser like that. It doesnt do shit, and its hard on rubber and stuff. I just dont think it works, seems like you spray in on, let it set and it doenst do anything. You want this stuff...

2007_1102Raptor0013.jpg

If you get stuck on something during your case splitting or rebuild, there are plenty of helpful fellas on here that will get you back on track.

thanks for the info and the pic on the product if i run into a wall on my new project u will see my name in the post again,it's sum really nice people on here

thank alot

I poured some on the places it needed to be, brushed it around with a paint brush, let it set about 45 minutes and washed it off with carb cleaner. Then I acetoned the cases because they are getting painted, so you would really need to do the last step I did.

I poured some on the places it needed to be, brushed it around with a paint brush, let it set about 45 minutes and washed it off with carb cleaner. Then I acetoned the cases because they are getting painted, so you would really need to do the last step I did.

seems very simple so what type of carb cleaner did u use and your recommending that i acetone the cases if so how do u do that