Clutch Chatter

Banshee0028

Ok I just rebuilt my motor and just realized there is a little clutch chatter from the clutch side. Its not loud at all, and its not a high pitched sound. Its a pretty low deep sound and you can hear the clutch spinning, but not like its rubbing on something. kinda like a constant ggrrrrrrr sound.. (Its not easy describing sound in words :)

I did some searching and it sounds like it might be my clutch cushions? Well the stock plate does have about 1/8 or 1/4" movement in it, but is otherwise pretty tight. It has Jeff's clutch kit in it and otherwise works Great! I would not mind installing the magnum basket if I had to, I would just feel better knowing that this was the cause and not something else.

I don't mind taking the cover off and making sure everything is tight, but wanted to get some ideas of what it could be. It could be normal, but I don't think I remember this sound before now.... :shrug:

Ok I just rebuilt my motor and just realized there is a little clutch chatter from the clutch side. Its not loud at all, and its not a high pitched sound. Its a pretty low deep sound and you can hear the clutch spinning, but not like its rubbing on something. kinda like a constant ggrrrrrrr sound.. (Its not easy describing sound in words :)

I did some searching and it sounds like it might be my clutch cushions? Well the stock plate does have about 1/8 or 1/4" movement in it, but is otherwise pretty tight. It has Jeff's clutch kit in it and otherwise works Great! I would not mind installing the magnum basket if I had to, I would just feel better knowing that this was the cause and not something else.

I don't mind taking the cover off and making sure everything is tight, but wanted to get some ideas of what it could be. It could be normal, but I don't think I remember this sound before now.... :shrug:

Does it chatter with the clutch pulled in or out? You might just have your plates dragging. Make sure you adjust it right.

Also don't get it confused with your water pump noise or piston noise. My shee grumbles a bit at idle. But it's no thing.

clutch cushions are shot. Change them and it will be silent. (Good time to upgrade to a billet basket IMO)

Here is my step by step how to change the clutch basket from the OEM to a billet. I used a Magnum in the how to, they are great baskets.

OEM to Billet Link

You might also want to check your idler gear, they have a little brass bushing in them and when they get worn out they do have a little chateringish noise. the only place I seen that they have that bushing is jeff at fast (25$ I belive) otherwise it would be a new gear from yam for 60$...

clutch cushions are shot. Change them and it will be silent. (Good time to upgrade to a billet basket IMO)

Here is my step by step how to change the clutch basket from the OEM to a billet. I used a Magnum in the how to, they are great baskets.

OEM to Billet Link

Hmm, so you really think its the cushions, huh?? I will also check the idler gear, but its definitely inside the clutch cover area. I seen the link, thats a great how to. I will use that if I finally get the Magnum basket!

Oh, and it does it with or without the clutch pulled in. However once its in gear its a little quieter. Not sure if that helps....

Edited by Banshee0028