missing in midrange

chevy7398

ok so last saturday i took the wife out trail riding, bike ran great for the first hour or two and then out of no where it starts missing/hesitating real bad in midrange. so i ran back to the truck to swap plugs, still doing it. it wasnt poping or acting like it was lean but i dropped the needle just to be sure a clip and then it realy got worse. so we loaded up and headed home. since then i hav put brand new intake boots, checked my reeds (all looked good) cleaned the hell out of my carbs, checked compresion, put all new gaskets fuel lines and vent lines on and cleaned my filter and its still doing it. it fires up on the first kick and purrs like a kitten. all is good till you hit the midrange and it starts hessitating real bad and once you give it enough gas it starts running great in the top end. my mods are coolhead 21cc domes, fmf fattys, vf3s, k&n, timing plate set at +4(checked it hasnt moved) im runing 30 pilots, air screws 2.5 turns out, needdle on third clip, and 300 mains, bikes ran great since i rebuilt her a few months ago and nothing has changed and all of a sudden it jsut happened

im still runin the stock stator, and no i dont have another and unfortunaly no one around here even rides a shee but me, it still runs good in the top range its just half throttle that its breaking up real bad, would the stator cause this only to happen in the mid range and still be fine in the lower and top ends?

not sure. damn that sounds like a hair puller.. only in mid range?? is it even in both cylinders? if so it is definately an ignition problem.. there is no way that both sets of carbs, reeds, intakes and so on can both have the smae problem at the same time.. check the wires on your coil?? and the ground bolt on the coil?? i would look for loose connections but it just sounds like a stator or cdi to me.. more like a stator.. just my 2 cents

i jsut cut the coil wires back a couple weeks ago, its gotta be both cylinders, i have had a plug go in and out before and still be running on one and it was no where near this bad, the thing that is getting me is it is jsut the mid, runs great crusing around low speeds and still good wide open but you get in that middile and its just nasty and it just came out of no where one sec running great the next its not :shrug:

not sure what to tell you.. i would personally try a stator.. get a used one on ebay from a reputable seller.. make sure its the right year model for your bike... i have never seen a cdi go out before.. always a stator that i have seen go out.. someone else may tell u different.. any body else have an idea??

Lower the needle another clip...If your on the top clip (farthest from the taper, then you might need a differnt needle). How do the plugs look? it could be your foweling out the plugs a bit at lower RPM's but they don't clean up untill your WOT.

Edited by Justintoxicated