mini twister billet vs 421 cub

bada450r

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BS............... :thumbsup:

Hey FIREHEAD, not really questioning you at all,but we've read (on Planet Sand) that the mini twisters need a lot of port work/machining to make them right. Why have we heard wrong? I know you know your shit.

Hey FIREHEAD, not really questioning you at all,but we've read (on Planet Sand) that the mini twisters need a lot of port work/machining to make them right. Why have we heard wrong? I know you know your shit.

So here's where I think the stigma comes from on PS. If you buy a relatively shelf stocked cylinder block made by Twister, you wind up with a generally good port configuration. To tune them for your specific application, you can fiddle around with some of the port areas (i.e. raise or lower ports). However, if you order a block straight from Louie and tell him what you want the cylinder for, are willing to wait, then you will get a block that is machined to a different spec. that is best suited for your application. An analogy might be that this is similair to buying a car out of dealer stock vs. order a car to your spec. from the car manufacturer.

Due to all of this, alot of folks go for the instant gratification route and have another builder whittle away at an off-the-shelf part. This can all be doen with a CNC mill, but you have to have a good grasp of what you're doing to get this done, plus have the resources available to do this and the ability to make money doing it. Most builders don't have the knowledge or the access to the quipment necessary. Of course, if you're the OEM for the cylinder, you just load up a CAD model, change a few dimensions, reprocess the tool paths, and all of a sudden you have a different (custom) part. You have to remember that the Twister cylinders are magically made out of a large block of ally. A casting for this application is a tougher thing to deal with from an engineering standpoint, as a one-off custom requires new patterns and cores to be made (printed in a soft tooling situation). For your a cast cylinder to be viable, you need to design in some extra material to be fiddled with in finishing operations, which is where the extra porting comes back into the conversation. This is the beauty of the CNC side of the racing manufacturing world.

On a personal note, for a finished product viewed from an engineering standpoint, the Twister blocks are a much more elegant solution to the problem. With that said, either the Twister of Cheetah cylinder blocks can perform equally, it's just a matter of the people involved in the project (as with most things in the racing world).

:geek: :geek: :geek:

What ever man.. No shit on my shoes..

I guess nobody knows what their talking about..

My hack at your statment, was basically aimed at the fact that a properly configured 5-axis CNC mill can go anywhere your hand can go, except the machine is more accurate.

So that everyone learns something here from me being an ass: Let's put this into a reality. Take a pencil in your hand. Now, move it around and try to count how many axis of movement you can orient your hand. It's really only 5 (some might argue for 6). If your were to then take a cylinder in your other hand and try to trace around your ports, watch how you have to move the cylinder and your pencil........................if this makes sense to you, then you are half way to being a CNC manufacturing engineer. As an aside, I have had guys work for me for over a year that couldn't get this excercise figures out.

My hack at your statment, was basically aimed at the fact that a properly configured 5-axis CNC mill can go anywhere your hand can go, except the machine is more accurate.

So that everyone learns something here from me being an ass: Let's put this into a reality. Take a pencil in your hand. Now, move it around and try to count how many axis of movement you can orient your hand. It's really only 5 (some might argue for 6). If your were to then take a cylinder in your other hand and try to trace around your ports, watch how you have to move the cylinder and your pencil........................if this makes sense to you, then you are half way to being a CNC manufacturing engineer. As an aside, I have had guys work for me for over a year that couldn't get this excercise figures out.

Well.. Actually it wasn't my statement.. I cut and pasted it from a post by Calvin Pollet. So I'll let you put it into reality for him. I personally never liked pencils much.. :shrug:

Edited by Fouledout421

Well.. Actually it wasn't my statement.. I cut and pasted it from a post by Calvin Pollet. So I'll let you put it into reality for him. I personally never liked pencils much.. :shrug:

i personally would'nt build a dm,like fire head said both the twister and cheetha's will run,its all in the people that are involved.also for the comment about a 10mil dm running with a 20 mil twister, i mean there's so many factors to that.

i mean i've beat my buddys 12 mil cheetha with my 4 mil cub.is my cub faster than my buddys 12 mil.I WISH. :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :banghead:

I'll bet the 10mil DM does run with a 20mil twister. I know of a 4mil DM running in the 3.70's, without a featherweight jockey. Those DM's are no joke, a lot of people under-estimate their potential, I know I did!

The twisters can and do run well, but comparing them to DM's, I'd pick the DM hands down. Comparing twisters to cubs, it could go either way...just my thoughts :shrug:

Calvin is a good guy, but he pushes his product just as much as everyone else does on PS......... :blink:

I'll bet the 10mil DM does run with a 20mil twister. I know of a 4mil DM running in the 3.70's, without a featherweight jockey. Those DM's are no joke, a lot of people under-estimate their potential, I know I did!

The twisters can and do run well, but comparing them to DM's, I'd pick the DM hands down. Comparing twisters to cubs, it could go either way...just my thoughts :shrug:

The 4mm variant of the DM cylinders seems to be a really hot engine. :thumbsup: