2 into 1

jlsolstice

I have a 96 shee with dyno port pipes, doyseen reeds(not on the stock rad valve its the boyseen rad valve, .040 over cylinders with a mx/dune port, cool head with 20cc domes, 35 or 38mm keihin carb not sure on the size yet I need to look into it, and k@n air filter. I am about 942ft above sea level. Where is a good spot to start with on my jetting? I have never ran a 2 into 1 so I need your guys wisdom on this one.

Thanks

Josh

The porting makes it unable to give you a good guess as identical porting can make a machine run totally different from the next, then the fact that no one portjob is identical and it just makes it a huge variable. the differences in carb sizes 35 vs. 38 could be a good factor for differences as well.

nonetheless, we'll see what we can do.

I say start with a 200 main jet. That could be too big but then it could be lean if it's not drawing ideally, possible with the 38. You need to pull the needle while your jetting and read the letters on it, it will help for us to know what needle you have in there. Put the needle in the 4th clip down, put a 200 main in there and see how it works, my gut tells me you'll back it off to a 195 or 190. A 48 pilot will probably be a good place to start as well.

From there, you'll want to take it for a ride and do a plug run to see how the plugs look. You should know pretty quick which way your going to need to go.

For example, my motor with a 35mm PWK used a 185 w/ a DEK needle when it stock porting. Then I had Eric Gorr port them and went to a 230 main and still too lean. Swapped the needle to an EEK and went from a 230 to a 210 and ran awesome. I have friends whose motors I've worked on and dealt with. One has a ported motor and is running a 187 with an EEK needle. Stock bikes with pipes tend to like a 175 to 185, somewhere in there.

Edited by sredish

• 1 month later...
I know its been a while but I finally got around to working on the shee again.

The carb is a 35mm keihin pwk... The needle is a DEK...The temp is anywhere from 45-35 degrees ferhenhite.

Any ideas where I should start for the main and piolet jets?

Thanks

I am running a similar set-up in 35-45 degree weather, about 1000-1200 elevation . im running a 48 pilot, 210 main, eek needle on the 3rd clip. My carb is a 36pwk, but it should be close, or at least a good starting point.

210 main jet is way too big on my bike. Your going to have to select main jets based on the rpm your pipe pulls though, so I need to know that before making a guess at where to start. With a 210-215 in my bike the plugs porcelain looks lean (white) cause it was so rich it was washing out the plug. Went down to a 190 and got a nice cocoa brown color on it.

On the bike with the dynoport twin pipes I would do like a 190 main jet, stick an eej needle in there on 2nd to leanest clip and run a 45-48 pilot jet with 1.5-2 turns out on the air screw. Get yourself an eek needle in case your to rich on the bottom end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It does not have a power jet... I will get a pic of the carb on here for you to look at. It looks just like the keihin airstryker carbs you see for sale on ebay. Inside the larger I.D. of the carb there are air deflecting flanges on each side of the carb. Thats why I think its a airstryker...

The porting makes it unable to give you a good guess as identical porting can make a machine run totally different from the next, then the fact that no one portjob is identical and it just makes it a huge variable. the differences in carb sizes 35 vs. 38 could be a good factor for differences as well.

I agree..................However, if you can come up with someone who does CNC port work such as Twister, the variance between cylinders is not even worth talking about. :geek: