Hatfield McCoy Trail riding

04titanse

This passed week i took my 2006 raptor 700R se and my 2000 banshee and drove 11 hours to WV - Hatfield McCoy with my girlfriend. We rode for 4 days and had a blast! we rode monday-thursday! There was no one there and the trails were great and it was some pretty good weather. There were a couple tricky mud pits that were interesting with two sport quad but we made it through with a little muscle and some tow straps. They have a ridiculous amount of trails and we only road in two trail systems. Just figured everyone might be curious.

first off, welcome to the forums. What systems did you ride? We usually travel 12 hours down there from outside philly, and stay for a week at the rockhouse system and try to get to one other as well. We try to get down there once or twice a year, but having a kid and getting married has put that on the backburner for these last 2 years. On the bright side, its giving me a chance to rebuild my shee from the ground up, and I'm building it to handle riding down there.

Some of the best riding in the United states in that area. Try to get friendly with some of the locals down there, they know a ton of killer trails that arent part of the system

yeah we rode pinnacle creek trails and indian river i think it was. I will post some pictures soon! we stayed like 1 mile from the the pinnacle creek trails at the Happy Trails cabins

I'm a big fan of rockhouse, pinnacle creek is too short. some friends of mine rode it with me, i had the banshee they had 450's we did the entire trail system before 1 in the afternoon. i also like the trail to matewan kentucky thats also a nice ride w/ some insane hillclimbs off to the sides if you know where to look. but all in all its definitely worth the trip!!!!!

I traded my 'Shee for a waverunner a while back. I miss trail riding, but I do not miss 11-12 hours to get there. It sounds like this might be worth the trip though.

I am going to get a utility quad sometime in the future. Yeah, I know. Old and slow, but after breaking my back in four places on a Banshee I am not ashamed. I'll probably get those Mat-Track things on it because it looks cool (probably limits function as much as it helps). Then I'll be ready for that mud hole you mentioned... :biggrin:

(If you do not know what the track I am talking about are CLICK HERE)

Edited by STLBILL

I traded my 'Shee for a waverunner a while back. I miss trail riding, but I do not miss 11-12 hours to get there. It sounds like this might be worth the trip though.

I am going to get a utility quad sometime in the future. Yeah, I know. Old and slow, but after breaking my back in four places on a Banshee I am not ashamed. I'll probably get those Mat-Track things on it because it looks cool (probably limits function as much as it helps). Then I'll be ready for that mud hole you mentioned... :biggrin:

(If you do not know what the track I am talking about are CLICK HERE)

You should look at the Can Am outlander 800 or the new Artic Cat coming out... They are utility quads but believe me they are NOT slow.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a big fan of rockhouse, pinnacle creek is too short. some friends of mine rode it with me, i had the banshee they had 450's we did the entire trail system before 1 in the afternoon. i also like the trail to matewan kentucky thats also a nice ride w/ some insane hillclimbs off to the sides if you know where to look. but all in all its definitely worth the trip!!!!!

What? Pinnacle creek is just one little part of the Crumpler/Hatfield trail system. There is no way you rode every trail in that area in one day. Did you ride the stair steps? Go up behind Pinnacle creek and that trail will take you to another coal mine area. Dude you can ride 100+ miles easily in that area and never ride the same trail twice.