DO I have to run red outer filter on Uni/Pro-flow set up?

Jayy

Just wondering if anyone knows the purpose of the red slip on outer filter. Is it intended to be used only if you are running open lid or cut away airbox? My airbox and lid are intact with the snorkel removed and 3 1" uni snap in vents in the lid. I have my bike jetted with 280 mains, needle on 3rd clip, stock 25 pilots and airscrews 1.5 turns out. It was running good before with this jetting on the stock filter, but when i installed the pro design uni pro flow set up it bogged bad like it couldnt breath with the red outer filter on. I removed the outer red filter and it rips again. I am thinking the red outer filter took up too much space in the airbox and wouldnt let it draw air easliy enough. I cut the old stock filter tabs off the lid and the airbox was p[acked full with the red filter in place. I had to push and force the lid on. Is it OK to run without the red outer filter cover and just use the yellow inner filter element? Thanks for your help.

I dont think you would HAVE to run it. Outerwares just keep the filters a little cleaner and protect from water better. Just clean your filter often and I think you would be fine.

I dont think you would HAVE to run it. Outerwares just keep the filters a little cleaner and protect from water better. Just clean your filter often and I think you would be fine.

Thanks. Yeah, its not a regular thin mesh outerwear, but a big thick foam element. It is a loose woven tyoe of foam(you can see daylight easliy through it) and it takes up alot of dead air space in the airbox. Maybe i should see if i can get a regular outerwear for the main/yellow uni filter.

that filter is there to keep big stuff out, its a dual stage filter. You didnt happen to oil that filter did you? I know you're only supposed to oil the inner one.

Personally, my advice would be to ditch the airbox lid and rejet. If you need to run a cover, get an outerwears cover. Do a search on my name, I just made a post about the covers you can get for your airbox.

The stock airbox lid is very very restrictive