k&n, how much better over stock?

i still run the stock filter an stock air box, i ride in the mud/water mostly so ditching the air box is eliminated off the bat, i've had issues with my shee getting fine dirt in the carbs so i know the stock filter is about done and i need a new one soon, my question is it really worth it for me to get a k&n filter with the prodesign adapter? or should i just stick with the stocker? will it be a noticalble diffrence in power?

btw, i'm trying to spend my money where i need it right now as i'm tight on money

thanks guys

josh

i still run the stock filter an stock air box, i ride in the mud/water mostly so ditching the air box is eliminated off the bat, i've had issues with my shee getting fine dirt in the carbs so i know the stock filter is about done and i need a new one soon, my question is it really worth it for me to get a k&n filter with the prodesign adapter? or should i just stick with the stocker? will it be a noticalble diffrence in power?

btw, i'm trying to spend my money where i need it right now as i'm tight on money

thanks guys

josh

A K&N filter will be a hell of a lot better than stock. You'll notice a difference but not sure how much, never ran a stock set up. I know on my cars I notice difference so I assume it will be even more noticeable with a 2 stroke. I say money well worth spent.

I bought my shee brand new and later installed a k&n filter set up it was a 3 jet jump in mains went from a 270 to a 300 just from k&n and no lid I do run outerwears all the time (I ride nasty trails also ) if you look on ebay you can find whole airboxes with K&N set up on them pretty cheap. One piece of advice if you buy one install it with some type of sealant because they do not seal up against the airbox and you will get crap flying through the gap.

assuming the reeds you want to buy are aftermarket, lean the needle one clip. If its stock 3rd go to the 4th. With airbox on and no lid go up two main jet sizes to start. 4 if no airbox at all. richen your pilot up and happy tuning. You shouldnt need a new pilot with the airbox on just richen it up with airscrew. Huge power difference with k and n over stock. run outerwears and keep stocked up on the recharge kits. I would run airbox lid on with some of the 1" oilable foam inserts. Dennis kirk sells 6 packs of these. Keep em clean and oil them too. The adapter plate you mentioned is the shiznit if you have an airbox.

I live in michigan at 800 feet above sea. 20 over bore, reeds, fattys, k and n pods, no airbox at all, stock carbs. Plug chops are perfect with 27.5 pilots 1 and 1/4 turn out. 330 mains. needle on fourth clip. Runs like a raped ape. no smoke when warm, smooth through all of powerband.

happy tuning

The pro design adapter and K&N with an outerware is a must IMHO.

The stock air filter assembly on our banshees is a piece of junk.

You will need to go up a size or 2 on your main jets depending on

your mods.

I didnt notice any difference in "seat of the pants" power until I removed

the air box lid and added pipes.

Dont be afraid to remove the lid, unless you like going swimming with your

shee. Lol. The outerware is waterproof to a certain degree.

:beer:

If you are running in mud and stuff, the K&N with an outerwear on it, no airbox lid I was getting dirt in my intake tract. The filter element on the K&N just doesnt work well enough to prevent dirty water from seeping into the intake tract. I know from personal experience.

I switched over to the pro design foam setup (put a little silicone like before mentioned when attaching to the airbox so you dont get a space) and I havent gotten anything in my intake tract since. I've actually had the engine get a blip of water in it going through deep mud/water holes and had it stutter on me, pulled the filter off after, and it was wet in the intake, but it was clean still.

The difference between running a lid and no lid is a good 2-3 main jet sizes. Do you have pipes yet? The setup I'm going to be running instead of a lid, refer here:

http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80791

The lid will kill power big time. I was one jet lean in the mountains the one time and forgot my jets, so I put my lid back on and my engine would barely run, couldnt even get it up into the powerband.

With your conditions I would run a foam setup and one of those covers

The only place I would run a K&N would be in dry dirt conditions, and in the sand.

ok, well i have t5 pipes, i'm looking into v force 3's for reeds, the adapter i'm looking at actually isn't a prodesign one but a NOSS one and it comes with a k&n with outerwear, i'm at sea level an my mains are already at 310 but i'm unsure what my pilots are, does it really matter that much if i run without the lid? i'll look into an outer wear for my lid also, and also, i notice some saying just richen it with the screw, where is this screw, i'm not to educated on my carbs and they still have the tors cap but the tors box removed, thanks you guys for all your help!

josh

is this what your refering to when saying the outer wear for the box?

dscn1021.jpg

I think that is a shock cover in your picture. Your air screws are on the left side of each carb. they are small gold colored flat head screws. I would run it a 1/4 turn richer with your new filter. No air box lid if you have the outerwear for the k an n. Put in 330 mains. It should be a good reliable start. I have 330 mains with pods but Im at higher elevation. If I was at sea level I would probably be at 340 or 350. 330s should be a real good start for your setup. All quads are diff. no one can give you an exact answer, but I am very pleased with my setup. Go to faqs at the top of your home page here on the site and read the whole article on jetting it will lead you in the right direction. This is the best jetting article I have ever read. It will put it all out in front of you. I believe it shows your air screw on there too. Good luck. No airbox lid on a banshee is a very noticeable upgrade. Make sure you run the airbox adapter or that thing will be full of fine sand and will pop quick. Go with the k and n. The foam elements really arent that nice. they tear and fall apart. A well kept K and N will outlive your motor.

Happy wrenching

thanks for the tip om the faqs and that outer wear is from an ebay auction which claims to be a outer wear for a airbox, if you enlarge the pic you can read the label

If it is an outwear for the box than I would pick one up for your muddy conditions. Definetly take that lid off. Run your outwears, never forget to oil your k and n before you ride. They sell recharge kits everywhere. Autozone. 10.00

dont know if I would trust that auction, that really looks like a shock cover to me, this is pretty much what the airbox cover looks like:

http://www.ronniesmailorder.com/eshopprod_...OX_COVER_KI.htm

as far as your mains go, you might be a little rich already still having the airbox lid on but you are at sea level and that will matter a little bit. T5's like the main a little bit anyway.

I believe noss makes a foam setup too? I personally would run the foam if you are gonna be in the mud and sloppy conditions. I've run both and its just my personal opinion on preference. I would run whatever filter setup you are gonna run, ditch the air box lid, get one of those covers, and jet up 1-2 on the mains and go from there on tuning.

In the long run, think about getting aftermarket needles for your shee as well (mine are lrd), go to 27.5 or 30 on the pilots, and tune in from there