overheating on right side

jetting? carbs synced? intake boot cracked ? bottom gasket sealed?

yep i went and fattened it to make sure i wasnt lean,the carbs are synced the motor is strong and smokes the same out the pipes no hesitation what so ever just right cylinder hot left luke warm same with pipes its a mystery to me,we checked waterpump its good reeds are good tore down motor all is good cant figure it out the base gasket was not blown or leaking any info would be great its a 7mil cub alky w/lectrons 40/44 w/dave moore pjs later

yep i went and fattened it to make sure i wasnt lean,the carbs are synced the motor is strong and smokes the same out the pipes no hesitation what so ever just right cylinder hot left luke warm same with pipes its a mystery to me,we checked waterpump its good reeds are good tore down motor all is good cant figure it out the base gasket was not blown or leaking any info would be great its a 7mil cub alky w/lectrons 40/44 w/dave moore pjs later

also what about the cdi i read where a guy was havi ng simular probs and the cdi was bad but would it cause just the right side to overheat.

My dune bike runs on methanol and when I first start it, it will only smoke out of one pipe until the first time I rap it out really good and clean it out. If you putt around on it on alky it will tend to load up the cylinders and drown out your spark. Did you check to be sure your plugs are gapped the same? Clean carbs real good? Both filters good & clean? Try and switch plugs from one side to the other, same with plug wires. Switch carbs around and see if it jumps side to side. Slides sticking? Needles on the same clip?

- Jared

My dune bike runs on methanol and when I first start it, it will only smoke out of one pipe until the first time I rap it out really good and clean it out. If you putt around on it on alky it will tend to load up the cylinders and drown out your spark. Did you check to be sure your plugs are gapped the same? Clean carbs real good? Both filters good & clean? Try and switch plugs from one side to the other, same with plug wires. Switch carbs around and see if it jumps side to side. Slides sticking? Needles on the same clip?

- Jared

There is also such a thing as intermittantly defective cpark plugs, coils, and plug wires. Those things are also worth a look. I am not sure I would worry about smoke out one side if it is only some of the time. If there was a big delta in temperature between the two cylinders, or it ran like crap, then I might be concerned. :geek:

There is also such a thing as intermittantly defective cpark plugs, coils, and plug wires. Those things are also worth a look. I am not sure I would worry about smoke out one side if it is only some of the time. If there was a big delta in temperature between the two cylinders, or it ran like crap, then I might be concerned. :geek:

u think a spark plug would make my right cylinder lean out and cause it to overheat?

u think a spark plug would make my right cylinder lean out and cause it to overheat?

I think he was referring to the 350X guy. No, the only way a plug can really bring temps up is a change in heat range or possibly a fatter spark. The only thing that makes sense is a unique vapor lock or water flow problem. This is just nothing in the engine that would just cause one side to run a lot hotter unless your piston is doing a bore job on that side from friction. If all things look good, you will have to study the water flow (that sucks ass in the banshees by the way) and determine what you can do to force coolant to that cylinder. Remember, getting wet does not do it. You must have "flow" of water to extract the heat from the cylinder and dissipate its energy through the radiator.

If your other cylinder is fine, that is the only thing that makes sense. It may take some custom engineered diverters in the head to get it done. Remember, the banshee has one seriously piss poor flow pattern and reverse flow makes more sense than the conventional OEM flow pattern.

Brandon