Nicosil VS Sleeve

The only disadvantage of Nikasil that I can think of is the initial cost. A proper Nikasil plating will last longer, cool better, and create less friction. I'm not sure how many rebores a steel sleeve will go through before a Nikasil plated cylinder will need redone.

Which do you guys think would be better for me to do on my cheeta cub? Im not sure which would be better i need some opinions :thumbsup: so i can get my turd back together thanks

If you pop a top end it is about 400-500 to fix with nicosil with sleeves it about 300-400 that the difference in price for repairs

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question to go along with this one. Can you actually hone nikasil, or do you just put in a new piston/rings when its time to rebuild. I've never seen a clear answer to this question.

I'm assuming you locked your Cub up/damaged the cylinders some how? When that happened to me, I just sent my cylinders back to Jeff and he had them re-plated. The only down side to me was the few weeks of turn around time. I had actually considered boring through the nikasil and honing the cylinders, but I wasn't sure if it could be done.....and decided it wasn't worth f'in up a $800 or so set of cylinders just to get it put back together a few weeks sooner.

Edited by J-Madd

If you pop a top end it is about 400-500 to fix with nicosil with sleeves it about 300-400 that the difference in price for repairs

Mikey...I thought it was only 250 or so to have Millenium strip and replate a cylinder with Nikasil.....(as long as no welding or other repairs had to be done, of course....)

So if my engine is due for a rebuild due to low compression, not cylinder wall damage, I have to get the cylinders replated everytime?

New pistons and go. YOu can light hone with a finish diamond flex hone but that is it. The bore is hard as hell and resists glazing well and holds crosshatching for years. Mic it to be sure the holes are round and straight.

Brandon

New pistons and go. YOu can light hone with a finish diamond flex hone but that is it. The bore is hard as hell and resists glazing well and holds crosshatching for years. Mic it to be sure the holes are round and straight.

Brandon

That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks.

The only disadvantage of Nikasil that I can think of is the initial cost. A proper Nikasil plating will last longer, cool better, and create less friction. I'm not sure how many rebores a steel sleeve will go through before a Nikasil plated cylinder will need redone.

The only real trade off here is the lead time on repair of a nikasil bore vs. the usually much faster turn around on machining a cast iron bore.

The cooling is pretty much a wash between the two.

If you are trying to get every last ounce of weight out of your bike then nikasil is the way to go.

My personal preference is nikasil.

...........to poke at Brad a bit..............when was the last time you saw a steel sleeve? :biggrin:

If you seize the motor or something goes through the nikasil bore and leaves a gouge in the sleeve then its done and needs resleeved.

Basically as Ski doo told us that nikasil is a lot like a chrome plating on the sleeve.

Edited by Snopczynski

Mikey...I thought it was only 250 or so to have Millenium strip and replate a cylinder with Nikasil.....(as long as no welding or other repairs had to be done, of course....)

I was adding the retail cost off pistons 150-250 Plus the nikasil 250 By the way I thought thats how to spell nikasil but I thought I was a dumb ass and copy the other spelling LOL

If you seize the motor or something goes through the nikasil bore and leaves a gouge in the sleeve then its done and needs resleeved.

Basically as Ski doo told us that nikasil is a lot like a chrome plating on the sleeve.

Thus the name of the product, the electrofusion coating is composed of Nickel and Silicon carbide. As I remember it, Chrome was a very good coating for bores and the only problems were less consistent mill thicknesses and a lack of adhesion. I would bet on some new coatings in the future to further reduce wear and friction. The plating process is damn cocky from a manufacturing standpoint. Many OEMs are using it because it reduces cost by not having to produce a sleeve and increases engine life. The bore has to be honed to size anyway by the OEM for the sleeve. This just means a simply precision finish cycle in the block, plate it, and role on. Cool stuff but not something your every day machine shop can offer.

Brandon

Cool stuff but not something your every day machine shop can offer.

Brandon

I believe this is the key point in this discussion.

To add a bit more find a good plating house for the nikasil procedure is not very easy. It is roughly similair in difficulty to finding a good heat treatment facility. :geek:

I never jumped on the nicosil bandwagon...I had a 99 srx500 sled and it had nicosil cylinders and it blew up and scored the cylinder. If it was cast iron it would of cost me 50-60 bucks to bore it out but I had to get the cylinder replated and it was 400 bucks.

Seriously, I may be wrong, but if you score a cylinder and it can be bored out to fix it I would rather have a cast iron sleeve in my cylinder it's way better to get it up and running again. I really don't like nicosil. It costs way too much more to get your cylinder fixed. I would rather be able to bore my cylinders out 20 thou and get new pistons than to get a stock cylinder recoated again. This is from my experience.