Lowering Bike/Marvin Shaw

dajogejr

I just thought I'd share my experience with you all...

My bike sat pretty raked as is, and I wanted to lower the rear of it a bit...

I have a shaw and no link in the back.

My buddy, as well as others...kept telling me to remove the nut and washer/collar on the bottom of the shock, it'll lower it quite a bit. Well, the collar is about 1/4" thick, the nut another 1/2 "...

I'm thinking to myself...big deal, I drop it an inch or so...

So...got bored and finally did it yesterday...

Lowered the rear of my bike 4.5 inches...no BS. I measured ground to grab bar before, 32.5, and after, 28....

Free lowering, can't beat that. Word to the wise...when you thread the heim in, loctite the LAST two or three threads going into the shock. Thread it in completely, then back it out a turn or two...few drops of loctite, and get r done.

I really should've taken before and after pics...but, the tape measure don't lie....

You're not only shortening the shock, but changing the angle/geometry of the rear, so...it lowers it quite a bit!!

I just thought I'd share my experience with you all...

My bike sat pretty raked as is, and I wanted to lower the rear of it a bit...

I have a shaw and no link in the back.

My buddy, as well as others...kept telling me to remove the nut and washer/collar on the bottom of the shock, it'll lower it quite a bit. Well, the collar is about 1/4" thick, the nut another 1/2 "...

I'm thinking to myself...big deal, I drop it an inch or so...

So...got bored and finally did it yesterday...

Lowered the rear of my bike 4.5 inches...no BS. I measured ground to grab bar before, 32.5, and after, 28....

Free lowering, can't beat that. Word to the wise...when you thread the heim in, loctite the LAST two or three threads going into the shock. Thread it in completely, then back it out a turn or two...few drops of loctite, and get r done.

I really should've taken before and after pics...but, the tape measure don't lie....

You're not only shortening the shock, but changing the angle/geometry of the rear, so...it lowers it quite a bit!!

That little bit of length off of the shock winds up being alot across a +14" swingarm (or whatever length you have). :geek:

That little bit of length off of the shock winds up being alot across a +14" swingarm (or whatever length you have). :geek:

You ain't lying...

I don't think I'm gonna mess with the fronts...I have pretty small tires up there, but...it looks cool as hell dropped in the back, and should help get down the track a little better....:)

sweet! is it as low as mine yet??

how about as soft? :yelrotflmao:

I think it's on par with how low yours is.

As soft? Yeah, you must've clunked your melon...LOL...

Stiff is fast....or...something like that...LOL.

Can you come out and play this weekend?

I think it's on par with how low yours is.

As soft? Yeah, you must've clunked your melon...LOL...

Stiff is fast....or...something like that...LOL.

Can you come out and play this weekend?

Clunked my melon?? na I think it was the 4 days strait in the hospital with no sleep!

I think I may be able to sneak out for a bit, just dont tell the ol lady what I am up too! :biggrin:

I am thinkin I am gonna build a strut for the rear of mine, for when I go to the track.

Clunked my melon?? na I think it was the 4 days strait in the hospital with no sleep!

I think I may be able to sneak out for a bit, just dont tell the ol lady what I am up too! :biggrin:

I am thinkin I am gonna build a strut for the rear of mine, for when I go to the track.

brady080 has a rear adjustable strut for a raptor, not sure if it would fit a shee or not.

Then again, a piece of steel or aluminium stock with two holes drilled isn't exactly rocket science...either....

I'll let you know when I get mine sealed and ready to go....

I still haven't purged my bike yet this year...nice, huh??

brady080 has a rear adjustable strut for a raptor, not sure if it would fit a shee or not.

Then again, a piece of steel or aluminium stock with two holes drilled isn't exactly rocket science...either....

I'll let you know when I get mine sealed and ready to go....

I still haven't purged my bike yet this year...nice, huh??

lol oh boy!

Have fun cleaning the shit out of the float bowls!

it is not much fun!

I have an aluminum one that I built at work, I just have to post a pic of it up on ps to make sure its gonna be strong enough.

hate to have it break about the 200 ft mark!