adjustable timing kit?

Been browsing around ebay and thinking about buying a 100watt stator/adjustable timing plate kit for $135

Anyone have any suggestions on what to buy? I havent heard enough about them to decide. Also wondering will advancing the timing up a little without any other mods be ok???(DESCRIPTION BELOW :down: )Probably have a professional do it.

2003 Banshee

stock motor (for a little while at least)

Cool head w/ 21cc domes

VF3s,pro design intakes(wanted reed spacers but looks pretty tight in there right now)

K&N -no lid

Pro Circuits

Not sure on jetting

little touch of race fuel

ANY REPLIES GREATLY APPRECIATED :biggrin:

As far as i know the adjustable timing plate does help a lot I think you can go +2 degrees still using pump, anything higher requires race fuel. I Just put mine in yesterday at +2 and I'm pretty happy with it. This is the one I got here http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/product...products_id=131 they also have stators

I have mine +5 and I use pump gas :shrug: also most of those egay kits are ricky stator and Ive heard mixed things about that company lately. so if you dont need a stator,. stock is 100w output anyways, just get a plate. for $35 its worth it. Or ask the seller what brand it is. also when you put it on,. use some locktite. I have an rs flywheel, plate, and stator and havent had problems yet,. but...... who knows.

read this post from majicmike about ricky stator. http://www.bansheehq.com/forums/index.php?...=78353&st=0

yes, the adjustable timing plate is nice to have. especially when you get your jugs ported. you state that you're running 21cc domes so i feel that you should be fine with +4 timing and 93 octane. any more timing or compression then you'll probably need to bump up the octane. when you set the plate to +4 listen closely to the engine so that there isn't any odd noises or pinging. plus, keep an eye on your spark plugs. if they loosen up then this is an indication that you're detonating. if so, back off the timing, and/or run higher octane fuel.

I appreciate everyones input. I'll prob go with just the plate for now. Prob bump up 2 degrees until I at least get a port job. Is this something anyone can install?

yes, it's easy to do if you have the correct flywheel puller like this one: http://store.albaaction.com/shop/DS001001.html

it's important that you use one like the one shown on the link. if you use the claw type you can and most likely will screw up your flywheel. also, an impact wrench will be a big help if you have access to one.

also, after you install the plate and the flywheel it's important that you set the gap between the pickup coil and the raised tabs on the flywheel. the gap specs are .015 to .020. set the gap somewhere in that range with a set of feeler gauges.