Electrical newbie questions...

ok.. i figured its time to upgrade my lights and elctronics... im going to buy a RS flywheel, a 200w stator, and i think i need this thing called a regulator.. been doing searchs.. cant find anything..

im a tad confused... now, with this 200w stator, i need this regulator... right? what does this thing do? im going to be hooking up 55w hella 500 lights. THESE ARE GONNA BLIND! but im not sure how to hook it up...

as for the rs flywheel.. i dont see this as much of an advantage, i was thinking of just knocking it off my to get list.. plus i heard u cant shave as much off.. ( gonna have it shaved someday) true?

i got it with the hardware.. but when you move to electronics im afraid uve lost me.

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/product...products_id=128

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/product...products_id=176

and then theres this...

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/product...;products_id=88

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/product...;products_id=85

http://www.autoanything.com/lights/69A1325A0A0.aspx

Edited by CRAZY-SHEE!

ok im no electrican so take this with a grain of salt and reshearch more before you jump into it...

running hellas you need to do the dc conversion i belive. also with the 200 watt stator you dont need to upgrade your regulator for normal light slike trail tech and what not but becsue your going with the hella you got to put in whats called a recitifier...

talk to wesw and blowit they have pretty good knowlegde of this... they can pretty much get you headed in the right direction to get these hooked up and working properly.. also wallrat i think has done it but not sure if he is around anymore..

you wouldnt have to change aything for those lights... they replace the stock ones just like trail techs... the recitifier is something im not experianced with so i cant explain how it works or any of that.. i just know you need it when doing the conversion and running those monster lights becasue i have read it probly 50 times in differant posts...

if your really set on getting them talk to the guys i said in the first post.. just be warned i have heard WAYYYYY more negitive things about doing the conversion then i have possitive.. but its all hear say... and i havent tried nor will i so i cant say from experiance that it isnt safe i can just say what i have heard...

ok.. ill just go with the ricky stators...

The upgraded stator should be complimented with a regulator that is capable of dissipating all the energy produced my the light coil. The reason is because when the lights are not on and bike is running, there is extra power that is being dissipated by the regulator. The stocker can handle it most of the time but it is cheap insurance to install an upgraded regulator. You do NOT need anything special for a reg and you can get a reg at any parts store. Generally rated in watts. 19 bucks would be worth just getting when you get the stator.

You do not need to rectify the power. The rectifier with convert your AC power into DC. That would only be needed for a battery charging sytem or other DC sensitive circuits. Light bulbs are resistive loads and as a general rule, do not care whether power is AC or DC. However the voltage level IS important. What can happen with the stock reg is it will burn up while riding without lights and as soon as you hit the light switch, all the lights will blow because the reg is toast and will no longer regulate voltage. Just for comparison, the stock lights are also typical Halogen filled bulbs running off AC power, that is exactly the same type of bulb you will have in the Hella lights. Now HID is another deal.

Brandon

Alright, I am a self proclaimed electrical guru with the Banshee. I currently have a rs200 watt stator and flywheel. I use 2 trail tech lights with 50w bulbs in each one. You dont need a regualtor, the stock one will work just fine. If you dont believe me email Ricky Stator, he will reply back usually within 24 hours. I did have Dave Moore Racing lighten my flywheel and it turned out good. The flywheel helps the lights to be brighter at lower rpm's because of the heavier magnets in it. If you really want to conserve all your electrical wattage for the front facing lights, get an led tail light from a trucker or big rig store and fab it on there. You ought to be able to run 2 55w hellas just fine, but dont add anymore wattage than that to the system. You do not need to do a dc conversion. You mainly only have to do a dc conversion if you want a battery, or to run hid lights. It is possible to run a capacitor and use hid lights though. Hope that helps.