How to clean out shavings?

robeport

Found a bunch of shavings in my oil after blowing my clutch and the idler gear wobbling off. Now I am wondering how to "flush" out all of these shavings from the tranny? Anyone have any techniques besides splitting the cases? I do have a magnetic drain plug on the way.

i've heard of people using diesel fuel. if your clutch cover gasket is still in good shape i would put the cover on and fill the tranny with diesel then pull the drain plug. i would also rotate the tranny gears every once in a while in order to get out the shavings between the teeth. keep doing this until the diesel comes out clean then i would flush it out a couple times with the fluid/oil that you plan on using in the tranny. it may be messy and may take a couple of gallons of diesel. but it would be easier than pulling the engine and splitting the cases.

i've heard of people using diesel fuel. if your clutch cover gasket is still in good shape i would put the cover on and fill the tranny with diesel then pull the drain plug. i would also rotate the tranny gears every once in a while in order to get out the shavings between the teeth. keep doing this until the diesel comes out clean then i would flush it out a couple times with the fluid/oil that you plan on using in the tranny. it may be messy and may take a couple of gallons of diesel. but it would be easier than pulling the engine and splitting the cases.

The diesel method is what I would like to start calling the "Bigred Methid." It works very well, but as said before it can be a bit messy. I like to go to a coin-op carwash to do it if I can't do it at work. :ermm: