Clutch Fibers

I felt my clutch slipping last time I rode, so I assumed my plates/fibers need to be replaced. When I drained the oil it looks like I had some coolant leak into the oil. So now I'm thinking that this may be what was causing my clutch to slip. However, I took the clutch apart anyhow to inspect it. How can I tell if the fibers need to be replaced? Is there a certain height the raised areas on the fibers are supposed to be?

I felt my clutch slipping last time I rode, so I assumed my plates/fibers need to be replaced. When I drained the oil it looks like I had some coolant leak into the oil. So now I'm thinking that this may be what was causing my clutch to slip. However, I took the clutch apart anyhow to inspect it. How can I tell if the fibers need to be replaced? Is there a certain height the raised areas on the fibers are supposed to be?

your friction plate thickness should be no less than 2.7mm or 0.106in.

if you already have had coolant in the oil and it's been slipping, i'd just replace the clutch kit. the coolant deteriates the bonding agents of the fibers and they will most likely wear out much sooner or eventually come apart. for the sake of a $35 clutch kit (tusk) i'd just replace it to be safe and avoid the hassle of problems down the road.

you'd better check your impeller and seal to see if that was the source. or sometimes the rubber ring of the coolant inlet where the case and cover meet will wear out and leak also.

Edited by MILO