shifting problems

ok i just picked up a 2000 shee the other day and while riding it is very hard to shift up but is rather easy to shift down, any idea why that might be?

a friend of mine suggested changing the oil

EDIT: i looked in the tranny and it looks as if somebody used some sort of white grease in it

Edited by iamcheese

Sounds like some bad oil, and your shifter shaft could have some problem in the engagement with the shift star. There is an adjustment that can be made to line the shaft "forks" up with the star. When you pull the clutch cover to check the water pump seal condition, you can also check the shift shaft tolerances, which will be listed in the Clymer Service that you are going to have to buy because #1 you need one, and #2, you need one.

well im not 100% that its grease but whatever it is is coated all inside the tranny and the dipstick is covered with it

yeah doesnt sound good at all. If the dipstick is covered in it the safest way to remove all that and inspect everything is split the cases. Then while your at it you can make all the adjustments like already mentioned. You could also grind your shift star too!

care to point me to a good easy to follow tutorial on doing that, im planing on ordering the service manual but i want to get it done asap

I would not go that far. That sure sounds like water in the oil and it does not take much water to cause this discoloration. I would find the cuase of the water contamination which is more than likely the water pump or the o-ring in the water line going into the case. I would then just drain the oil very well, add oil, run for 10-15 min or good and warm, change oil until color comes back. They only take 1.5 quarts and you can add just one for cycling. It will not hurt your bearings as long as you are not in race mode.

Brandon

Yes, coolant and water don't mix very well, and when they do, it turns the oil to a milky white substance.

I don't understand? Once coolant touches water you can not separate them. I think you meant to say coolant and oil... I would first check your coolant level. if you haven't had to add any and the radiator or the overflow bottle are full than it can be from running through water or sitting in a high humid place. If that is so just change the oil a few times and you should be good. also check the water pump vent. if that tube is broke than it can dump coolant into the trans case.