Eibach spring spacer?

sand4ever

I called TCS today to talk about a eibach spring for my +4 swingarm. Well they tell me that not only do I need the spring, but I also need a spacer. This spacer helps hold the spring in place and that if not used it will slip off. I was told that different models may require more than one spacer to hold the spring in place. Then I called cascade and talked to them about the eibach spring they sell. They said " we have never heard of this " and we use these springs all the time on banshees. So I guess I am really confused as to do I or don't I need the spacer for the rear shock. And two who has used the eibach spring from cascade and did you have to use a spacer? i just want to know the truth about this so I can order a spring for my bike. Dam I just want to go riding. Thanks in advance, some one give me the correct answer.

I called TCS today to talk about a eibach spring for my +4 swingarm. Well they tell me that not only do I need the spring, but I also need a spacer. This spacer helps hold the spring in place and that if not used it will slip off. I was told that different models may require more than one spacer to hold the spring in place. Then I called cascade and talked to them about the eibach spring they sell. They said " we have never heard of this " and we use these springs all the time on banshees. So I guess I am really confused as to do I or don't I need the spacer for the rear shock. And two who has used the eibach spring from cascade and did you have to use a spacer? i just want to know the truth about this so I can order a spring for my bike. Dam I just want to go riding. Thanks in advance, some one give me the correct answer.

With regard to the PM I sent you on this topic, here is the picture I promised. You can see the small black collars on the spring seats. :thumbsup:

post-14489-1174540948_thumb.jpg

Depends on the inside diameter TCS was going to use. Cascade only sells the "banshee specific" rear spring that Eibach makes. Todd / TCS on the other hand will use a multitude of different rear springs in order to best suit the application. I would trust TCS's reccomendations.

Depends on the inside diameter TCS was going to use. Cascade only sells the "banshee specific" rear spring that Eibach makes. Todd / TCS on the other hand will use a multitude of different rear springs in order to best suit the application. I would trust TCS's reccomendations.

I agree TCS knows what they are doing. I have found that they are much better in person than on the phone. I think it has to do with something they are putting in the water out there in Lake Elsinore. :ermm:

Anyways, DuneDemon would probably know more on the subject at hand. than anybody else on the HQ or possibly anywhere for that matter. Thanks for helping this guy out, Blaine. :cool:

So which is better or should I say will the cascade spring work? CanI just go with whatever TCS says and get there recomendation. I am actually in portland at my sister in laws and was going to go top cascade in the morning to get the spring. So I need some info real soon, like this evening please. Thanks

So which is better or should I say will the cascade spring work? CanI just go with whatever TCS says and get there recomendation. I am actually in portland at my sister in laws and was going to go top cascade in the morning to get the spring. So I need some info real soon, like this evening please. Thanks

Either way I don't think you lose. The Cascade spring should be fine.

Well I just installed the spring from cascade and adjusted it all the way in. I set the shock to firm and sat on it. The bike in the back sunk three inches . Is this right or is this spring not heavy enough for me. What is the opinion of this. If it is wrong then I am going to take it back and get one from tcs. Will having the shock revalved take care of the shock compressing so much? Let me know so I can make some changes and get this thing together and done> Thanks

Well I just installed the spring from cascade and adjusted it all the way in. I set the shock to firm and sat on it. The bike in the back sunk three inches . Is this right or is this spring not heavy enough for me. What is the opinion of this. If it is wrong then I am going to take it back and get one from tcs. Will having the shock revalved take care of the shock compressing so much? Let me know so I can make some changes and get this thing together and done> Thanks

You want to have a certain amount of sag when you sit on the bike. Otherwise, you would really only have suspension travel in bump (if that makes sense?). I don't have typing a primer on setting rear suspension sag in me at the moment. If you google it or have a QUAD Magazine from a couple months ago you whould be able to find instructions as to whgat is acceptable for a sag measurement with regard to your weight and rinding style. If you can't find what you need or have questions, I promise that I will check this thread later tonight and help you out. :thumbsup:

(Off the top of my head 3" of sag sounds acceptable with a +4" arm and a 200lbs.'ish rider.)

I am just trying to make sure if it is close or not. At 260 I know it is alot of weight on the rear. And that it will get better when the shock is redone. Its definetly better than the stock spring. Well if you have time later firehead, if you could get me some info that would be great, I don't have any quad magazines here. Some insight would be nice. Thanks

p.s. Probably be even better if I could get back to the weight I was before I got married, 215, she just cooks so good!!!!!!!!!

Edited by sand4ever

I am just trying to make sure if it is close or not. At 260 I know it is alot of weight on the rear. And that it will get better when the shock is redone. Its definetly better than the stock spring. Well if you have time later firehead, if you could get me some info that would be great, I don't have any quad magazines here. Some insight would be nice. Thanks

p.s. Probably be even better if I could get back to the weight I was before I got married, 215, she just cooks so good!!!!!!!!!

At 260lbs. you are a bit out of the weight class of experience that I have. If you weighed 215lbs. then you would be very near what I weigh.

Check out the articel at the link below. I think it will get you most of the way there is you pretend the motorcycle in the diagram is an ATV.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/racesag.asp

Also, to make sure we are clear, the spring and the shock might as well be separate parts as they have very little effect on each other. If the spring allows for too much sag now, the shock work isn't going to help that. What the shock will do is allow for better control of the spring action. For instance if you got on the bike and bounced around before the shock was revalved for the longer arm, the shock would seem to be move much faster and more eratically. The spring will travel the same amount eveytime with a given load no matter what the shock is valved for. The valving of the shock just controls the rate at which that movement occurs. The principle that surronds this is that you change the suspension motion ratio with a longer arm.

Read that link and what I wrote and let me know what questions you have afterwards. :thumbsup:

OK I just did as the acticle told me to. For the free sag I have 1/2 inch and for the race sag I have 5 3/4 inch. Obviously that is too much. So I guess I will have to take back the spring and get one from tcs. The one from cascade is not heavy enough right?. Thanks

OK I just did as the acticle told me to. For the free sag I have 1/2 inch and for the race sag I have 5 3/4 inch. Obviously that is too much. So I guess I will have to take back the spring and get one from tcs. The one from cascade is not heavy enough right?. Thanks

I think the spring from Cascade might not be a high enough spring rate for your weight if you are doing any jumping or hard dune riding at all.

For some reason I seem to have the preconcived notion that everyone in the world is my size or smaller. :shoothead:

I am going to take it back next weekend, it just isn't big enough for my fat butt. Thanks for the info, but I guess tcs here I come.

Like I said before, TCS does fantastic work and they are very competitively priced. Just be careful when you're on the phone with them as they will try and sell you pretty much everything they make. IMO you just need a spring and collarss, but it they offer you a good deal on the spring, collars, and revalving, you maqy want to think about getting it all done at once. If they can put something together like that for you in the $300 range, you ought to do it. :thumbsup: