Blueprinting?!?!

Anybody here, blueprinted their banshee engine, my pap keeps talking about blueprint my engine with a port and polish, but What good would blueprinting do to such a small engine??? thanks ladies and gentlemen

At the risk of getting somebody worked up..........I would like to say that blue printing is old skool and nobody that has other means does it anymore. It's all done with CMM's, CAD packages, and CNC machines.

To get back on topic, the "blue printing" concept is 100% necessary if you are building any sort of serious engine, whether it be a model airplane engine to a tractor pulling engine (largest engine that came to mind that is in a racing class). It can be fun to do and you can potentially learn alot while you are doing it (measuring techniques, engine design intent, manufacturing techniques. etc.). :thumbsup:

old school or not... blue printing can bring out some hidden power that a cnc misses... like i said if you looking into squeezing EVERY little bit of power out of a motor its not a bad idea... many small time builder or racing do this still for the fact that it works and they dont have the money to put into cnc machines and all the technology...

old school or not... blue printing can bring out some hidden power that a cnc misses... like i said if you looking into squeezing EVERY little bit of power out of a motor its not a bad idea... many small time builder or racing do this still for the fact that it works and they dont have the money to put into cnc machines and all the technology...

I totally agree. I think several of the older guys in our assembly shop as well as on the teams we support in Nastycar still print most of their engines. Moving up the technology ladder a bit, I do not think very many, if any, IRL, F1, or Champ Car engines get printed. :shrug:

Great Info guys, I think I will leave the blueprinting to the 72 GTO hahaha

Blue printing is when you make both pistons, cranks, well both sides of the engine(bluntly), the exact same size and weight....

I thought that was balancing, and the blueprinting was done so that you know the exact diameter of pistons, cylender's, rod length's etc................

Blue printing is sort of what it sounds like. You take the parts you have and make sure that they are with in print. Print, in this case, would be defined as an engineering drawing describing the part, it's tolerance, surface finish, heat treat, hardness, etc.

If the parts are used, then it may require re-machining, or balancing. If the parts are new then it involves sending them back to the vendor you bought them from and telling to send you parts that are in print this time. :biggrin: