4 mil problem this weekend. Question for the gearheads!

phx450

If you burned a hole in the piston, I highly doubt that it would smoke any more than normal. If anything it would smoke less out the side of the exhaust that has the respective hole in it.

If you ran your bowls dry and burned a hole in the piston I think you probably would experience the exact symptoms that your are having now. You need to do a compression check to start out with. I have burned up alot of pistons and the only real clue that i had was that the bike would hardly run and that I had low compression in one of the cylinders. The spark plug looked fairly normal and there was not any metal shavings to be found.

FYI: A Banshee will run without one cylinder firing if you fiddle with it enough. It won't run well, and it will seem like it is bogging and the only way to keep it running is choke it alot and keep the revs up. In all cases it will seem like it is down on power. :thumbsup:

With regards to power, it ran strong as hell each time. Flat out Halls ass.

If i need to redo the entire top end im going to be pissed off like no other!

no the gas tank is an aluminum drag tank.

Vented cap. Its all correct.

Im leaning to the idea that it ran out of fuel one to many times.

I think I'm going to pull the head tonight and take a look.

:banghead:

just out of curiosity did you check the 2 wires pluged into ur coil i had almost the same thing happen to me ... was running down a straight strech ... and it just shut-off like instantly no bang or anything... one of the coil wires vibrated loose. didn't look like it was off cause it was still on by the little rubber boot. i duno just wondering thats all. but its very easy to pull the head off and check just to be sure. :beer:

no the gas tank is an aluminum drag tank.

Vented cap. Its all correct.

Im leaning to the idea that it ran out of fuel one to many times.

I think I'm going to pull the head tonight and take a look.

:banghead:

What kind of carbs do you have?

Is your 4mill a stock ported cylinder or a cub?

just out of curiosity did you check the 2 wires pluged into ur coil i had almost the same thing happen to me ... was running down a straight strech ... and it just shut-off like instantly no bang or anything... one of the coil wires vibrated loose. didn't look like it was off cause it was still on by the little rubber boot. i duno just wondering thats all. but its very easy to pull the head off and check just to be sure. :beer:

I had the same thing happen to me this year and i think I remember the engine exhibiting similair symptoms. It took me an hour or so to figure it out because the boot hadn't completely come off pf the plug.

I would still bet he ran out of fuel one to many times and cratered a piston. :thumbsup: