DIY crank welding

racer

Have to put it on a trueing stand to make sure it's true then use a TIG to weld it up. You can use fill rod but a very small amount is needed or you don't have to use any. It's hard to do if you don't know what you are doing. You got to get it withing spec...a few .001's of a inch.

Like Jared said, no filler, make sure you true it first. It's easy to do. You don't need a trueing stand, you can use a lathe to accomplish the same thing. You need to chuck it between centers and run a dial indicator on the main bearing races. This gets you the same thing as setting the crank on those areas with a trueing stand. I figures I'd toss that out there since it seems that alot of people don't have trueing stands anymore. :thumbsup:

Don't use filler rod. Just melt your crank web and the pin end together real good and your set... Oh yeah, make sure its true before you go to town on it. Not much is required all your wanting to do is keep the web from separating from the pin.

DSC00084-1.jpg

DSC00083.jpg

What was your amperage?

Like Jared said, no filler, make sure you true it first. It's easy to do. You don't need a trueing stand, you can use a lathe to accomplish the same thing. You need to chuck it between centers and run a dial indicator on the main bearing races. This gets you the same thing as setting the crank on those areas with a trueing stand. I figures I'd toss that out there since it seems that alot of people don't have trueing stands anymore. :thumbsup:

I had forgotten about making this thread, haha. Whoops.

Firehead can you elaborate more on truing with a lathe? I dont have a stand so thats my only option.

I had forgotten about making this thread, haha. Whoops.

Firehead can you elaborate more on truing with a lathe? I dont have a stand so thats my only option.

Basically you need to throw a 5C collet rig in the head stock and put a dead center in that. Then wou need to put a live center in the tail stock and place your dial indicator on a mag. base on or about the tool post. After you have that set, put the crank inbetween cennters and roll it over by hand. You shoul be inspecting the main bearing areas and the o.d. of the webs. If these are all running true then your pins should be in phase. One of the things I like about the lathe trueing method is that you can whack on the crank to straighten it out without having to take it out of your measuring setup everytime. :thumbsup:

You can make the call on how much run out you want (this may be dictated by the accuracy of your dial indicator). I ususally true my cranks to within 5 microns or less total runout, but for everyone else 30 microns or less is probably satisfactory.

You can make the call on how much run out you want (this may be dictated by the accuracy of your dial indicator). I ususally true my cranks to within 5 microns or less total runout, but for everyone else 30 microns or less is probably satisfactory.

Thats a sweet method. Will do for sure next time I have the crank out. But how the fuck do you fget accurate down to 5 microns?

Thats a sweet method. Will do for sure next time I have the crank out. But how the fuck do you fget accurate down to 5 microns?

I usually true my cranks up on our balancer. It's pretty much the most accurate tool for balancing and trueing an engine rotation assembly that you could possibly buy. I think we spent about $300k on it a few years ago. It's really designed for the aerospace industry and is overkill for pretty much everything. The company who makes the things had only sold like 5 of the machines, total.

If I were doing a friend's crank or something I was just going to blow up on the dyno, I would do the method I mentioned with the lathe. :thumbsup:

That seems kinda low. Doesn't seem to get enough penetration with that low of amperage. 120 might cut it but anything lower than that wouldn't get enough penetration IMO.

It depends on many things such as the welder, tungsten used, technique, etc. Remember, you are just providing a mechanism to preserve the press fit of the pin into the crank web. You are not attempting to forgew the two together. :thumbsup: