+2 steering stem review

csrmel

got a lonestar +2 steering stem installed. all i can say is WOW. rider fatigue when standing up is greatly reduced, plus i feel more stable when going through rough stuff. also shifting while standing is much easier. normally during semi agressive trail riding i would fatigue around the 2 hour mark. now i can ride for 3+ hours at a time and i am not as tired as i used to be at 2 hours. now i have to stop because i run out of gas quicker than i get tired. i am 6'6 so you can imagine it really helps out alot. my dad is 6'2 and he agrees that it is a nessassary mod for any of the taller guys and he loves it as well. so much so that hes going to get one for his raptor.

any of you guys out there who are a bit taller than average? i ask you to really consider a taller steering stem. every person who has rode my banshee has commented on how much better it handles. ive had dozens of other banshee riders try out my banshee and they all love the taller stem. not one complaint. not a single one and m,ost of them said they are going to get taller stems.

a +2 is just long enough that you can use all of youre stock cables and such. the ony other mod you need to do is relocate the front brake "t" fitting about 1 inch higher than it currently sits. other than that no other mods are nessassary. if you are not quite as tall as me but still taller than average, consider a +1 stem.

to date this is probably the single best mod i have ever done to my banshee. and that really says alot.

• Like 1

honestly i dont think there is any difference in functionality between an extended stem and some bar risers. get whichever one is the cheapest, but trust me guys GO out there and get it done. you just cant imagine how much more functional the banshee has became sence i did this.

this is one of those must have mods. i would have gotten this stem before i got my engine mods done if i knew how much better it would make my banshee.

"a +2 is just long enough that you can use all of youre stock cables and such. the ony other mod you need to do is relocate the front brake "t" fitting about 1 inch higher than it currently sits".

Sh how did you resolve this? I've got the same stem and the same problem goin on right now. A longer line from Brake res to the "T" would seem to be the answer, but I don't think they make them...Thanx!

~cork

"a +2 is just long enough that you can use all of youre stock cables and such. the ony other mod you need to do is relocate the front brake "t" fitting about 1 inch higher than it currently sits".

Sh how did you resolve this? I've got the same stem and the same problem goin on right now. A longer line from Brake res to the "T" would seem to be the answer, but I don't think they make them...Thanx!

~cork

if i had my shee here i would pull the gastank and front plastic to take pics for you. sence its not here i will just type out the way i did it as best as i can.

the T fitting has 1 bolt securing it to the frame. remove this bolt and slightly bend the steel front brake lines so that you can raise the t fitting upwards about an inch or so. now you run into the problem of how to secure the t fitting because the mounting holes no longer line up with the bolt. you will need to make an adapter with the dimensions of 2 inches long by 1 inch wide. the steel should be around 1/8 to 1/4 thick. drill a hole in each end of this piece of steel. put the original t fitting bolt through the steel and secure it to the frame. now go to the hardware store and buy a bolt and nut that you can use on the other hole of the steel adapter to secure the t fitting to the steel adapter you just made. now you have a rigidly mounted t fitting just like stock, and best of all you dont need to buy an expensive aftermarket flexible brake line.

all you need for tools to do this is a hacksaw, a small piece of scrap steel, a drill with a drillbit that is roughly the size needed to install a 10mm bolt. you also need a bolt and nut from the hardware store. thats it man. about $3 in parts and an hour of labour (not counting the time it takes to drive to and from hardware store). and that is assuming you dont already have the required items laying around. i had everything i needed in my garage s it didnt cost me a dime.

Thanx Man..that's kinda what had in mind, but it's nice to see that it actually works too...It was starting to look like another nightmare at first until I saw that someone else was installing taller steering too. I love the way the bike feels sitting up 2" higher and more chrome is always a plus. I don't think I've heard of anyone who added this upgrade and didn't like it. Thanx alot for the help!

~cork