trans problem

Look for some loose stuff floating around inside the case. Something similar happened to me right after I split my cases. When I went to change the oil I found what was left of a screw stuck to the magnetic drain plug. It also managed to break a tooth off of one of the gears which was causing it to pop out of gear under load.

I say change the oil and see if you find anything; if not, no big loss as you will most likley have to do more than an oil change anyway.

Your drum may be getting worn in that one spot and the shift fork that holds #2 gear isn't staying in its place. Could also be something out of adjustment down by your shift star. Maybe its not totally locking into gear down there. Maybe its both! The way the drum and shift star and the load spring that rides on the shift star are designed it makes everything lock into each gear, and it takes quite a bit to get it to come out of gear on its own, so I'm guessing something in your transmission somewhere is worn out, getting worn out, or broke. Also check the rods that your forks ride on and make sure they aren't getting some worn down spots on them. Maybe something's binding up down there and not letting the cogs on the sides of the gears lock into eachother real good. Start with the simple stuff and pull your clutch cover, remove the clutch and inspect the shift star and shifter mechanism down there and make sure everything down there is in good shape and not worn down in any way. If all that stuff looks good, you might have to split your cases again.

Just take your time and inspect everything thoroughly and make sure you aren't over-looking something. I'd repace the rods that the shift forks ride on since they aren't that expensive anyway, and maybe look at some new forks if your shee has any kind of serious age and hours on it.

The way I look at it is this... if I'm going to be going to the time and effort to split my cases I'm going to replace all the cheaper stuff in there that isn't a hassle to do. I also replace bearings and any other parts (like forks) that I know tend to wear out over time. I put a lot of work into my transmissions and like to know that I have new OEM or high quality aftermarket parts in there.

Ha Ha! If nothing else, you could just step up to a dunable override and be done. Ha Ha!

- Jared