signs of detonation

rideblue_06

This is what I have. I bought the bike used and i think it had race gas in it. It has a wicked head but dont know what size domes. After I used the fuel in the tank that was in it when I bought it I put 93 octane. I rode it for a total of about 15 minutes before it started running bad. I decided to check compression. 175 in left side and 178 in right. I believe this is way too high for pump gas? What are the signs of detonation. The way the exhaust sounds is way diff from when it was running good. The bike feels real sluggish at low rpm. Only when I ride it hard down the road revving it out does it run half decent but not like before. Still sounds different. Even in neutral just giving the bike some gas it dosent seem like it wants to rev fast. Does this sound like detonation or something else?

I see in your sig. that you have 18cc domes listed. And at your compression, you should likely be running race fuel, or a mix of race fuel with 93 pump. Dome size is only one part of the equation for needing race fuel, other factors are ignition timing, squish...... This is a stupid question, but did you mix a good oil in with the fuel before you re-fueled it? If you are having detonation problems, you will likely have some silver speckles on the porcelain of the spark plugs. This is from the center of the piston slowly being melted away....

well if your in the 170s range that alone calls for race fuel. I would run a 75% mix of 110 to 93 just to be safe. 50-50 definatly. Or you could try a local airport for 100LL for like 3 bucks a gallon is what I heard.

defintetely need race fuel. I don't how high you should go on the octane but VP C12 (110 octane leaded) will prolly take care of ur problem.

The symptoms that I described, do they sound like detonation. Will detonation make u lose power and make your exhaust sound different? I know what detonation is but just don't know what exactly will do to your bike as far as running and power. I know that if it is I am running the risk of blowing my pistons, crank, domes, etc.

Also I am planning on buying a gallon or 2 of Ultimate 2 race fuel. Any of you guys ever used it. I think octane rating is 110 or 112?

The symptoms that I described, do they sound like detonation. Will detonation make u lose power and make your exhaust sound different? I know what detonation is but just don't know what exactly will do to your bike as far as running and power. I know that if it is I am running the risk of blowing my pistons, crank, domes, etc.

Also I am planning on buying a gallon or 2 of Ultimate 2 race fuel. Any of you guys ever used it. I think octane rating is 110 or 112?

Yes it will definatly affect preformance. You actualy melting your pistons so all of that debris is going through your whole motor it will make it sound like there is dirt being recycled throughout the bike. Pipes motor everywhere. I would check the plugs for metal pieces. Drain the tranny fluid and see if there is any metal floating around in there. Look at your pistons. I would do a complete teardown. Ive never heard of the fuel you mentioned but the octane sounds rite.

I pulled the head and looked at domes and pistons. The top of pistons were black and carboned up pretty good. The domes about the same. I just hadnt run the bike too long with pump gas.

If the carbon is Caked on there that could be from pre ignition. You can just scrape all of that carbon off but be carefull when you do you dont want to nick anything. Are you running any extra timing? Could also have to do with the oil you are running. Some oils carbon up more than others. But detonation seems to be the problem. Write up a check list and go over everything. You know change all of your fluids and inspect them. Make sure your pistons are moving freely and the rings are not worn out. Compression test. Change your plus and do a plug chop. Rejet if nessacary. Most imporantant get all of that gas out of there ASAP and run a higher Octane fuel. Or change the domes out to a bigger size so you can run pump gas. Just check your timing cause you dont want to run too extreme on your timing with the bigger domes IMO. Let us know.

I am running stock timing. I was trying to not have to run race gas but now it seems like I will have too. I might as well increase my timing. I will go +4 after I get my race gas in tommorow and see if that cures my problem. I appreciate the help guys and will let u know how it comes out.

Well if you increase your timing your compression is going to be even higher. Do a test cold then warm it up to riding temp and do another comp test. See where your at. You might have to run a full race fuel blend after that. I would definatly run straight 110 through your first tank then drop a tiny bit at a time from there till you feel comfterble.

What Oil do you run? What do you mix it at? I suguest Maxima Castrol 927 at 32:1. 40:1 being the highest. Some will say Klotz supertechniplate at 32-40:1 Amsoil ect ect. Its all about prefrence when it comes to premix but I stick with the 927. Im sure everyone will agree thats a good oil even if they dont run it.

Um, just a silly question, but could you call the guy you bought it from and ask what fuel was being used? Or possibly what size domes he has?

Well thats the thing. I bought it from my buddies dad after my buddy got killed in a vehicle accident. I run castor 927 at 32 to 1.

Edited by rideblue_06