Dura Blue X-33 Axle

Satsol67

Does anyone have the X-33 Axle? I am having a problem with mine. When I bought my shee it had one on it and the left hub was loose so i bought 2 more. Damn things were 187 bucks for the set. That was about 6 months ago. I had to keep tighting it up because it would keep coming loose now it is starting to crack were the bolt holds it on.

My question is am I the only one having this problem? Is this just a shitty axle? I looked on Dura Blue's site and they talk about them coming loose and to use lock tight which I did. Is there anything else I can do. These things cost to much to have to replace them this often.

Thanks

Ron

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear about your hub problems.

I broke an X-33 on a 40 foot double, the same jump I had taken many many times with my stock axle.

brokex33-1.jpg

brokex33-2.jpg

It was under warranty, but Durablue didn't have a replacement on hand, I would have had to wait 3 weeks to get a replacement. I didn't really want another 'snapper' anyway so, I sent the broken one in on trade for a Eliminator. I used it for a while, and the splines twisted on one wheel. I sent that one back for replacement, and just used the stock axle.

BTW this is on a 1999 400EX that has been beat like a dog and the stock axle is still straight. I have a brand spanking new Eliminator sitting here that I won't use.

That said, I am willing to bet that if you have never bent your stock axle, it will outlast a Durablue product!

I got a Lonestar axle (axcaliber, I think) for my 'shee and have had no problems with it. I don't race the Banshee however. The Durablue axles both failed under racing conditions (I am an amateur).

Maybe, you could have the bolts "knurled" so they will fit tighter in the hole. If the holes have elongated, you might have to have them re-drilled to round them out, and install new bolts that fit perfectly. I would have a machine shop drill it (if they will do it at all). The axle is going to be pretty hard, so they will need to go really, really slow. They should know how to drill it. Removing material from the axle will weaken it (of course) so you will want to carefully consider before doing it. I think though, that if you could get a perfect fit on the bolt pin, it will help a lot.

Good luck.

I personally have an LSR, but while I was shopping for one I talked to Santo Derisi and he said to stay away from durablue because they break easily. He has his own suspension business so I'll take his word.

And he uses RPM.

Have the hole reamed a specific arbitrary size and then use a turned dowel of a nice hard steel. maybe 4340, then HT? That should keep your tolerance in very close. That being said, a new axle would more than likely be cheaper.

also, they do have the nick name, bendy blue.

LOL, if your on a budget get a G-force, they are better than Bendy Blue and have a better warranty (Lifetime jsut like LSR, not replace once or is it twice BS). I flipped my bike end over end and totaled my frame, but it held up fine, although usualy axles break / bend when landing on one rear wheel before the other, not from flipping end over end :P . Going wider makes the strain on the part much higher, just as you can get more torque by prying with a longer lever as opposed to a short one. Still though most people with G-force Axles are happy with them, and they are also WAY cheaper as well!

That 40 foot double must have HURT!

Edited by Justintoxicated